• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing for Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Glory37

Suing for the money I paid for car

So I bought this used car for $1000. The girl told me it didn't need to be smogged til next year in April 2017. So when I contacted DMV they told me that it needed to be smogged. I then told the DMV spokesperson that I already have contacted her regarding this matter. She refuses to do the smog. So I took the car to get inspected & the guy right away tells me that it's going to fail due to the smoke coming out of the muffler. He did give me a Smog Check Vehicle Inspection Report. Im currently in the process of taking her to court. And one more thing the car wasn't even in her name it's still in her dad's name?. So I'll be suing both of them. Do you think I have a case?

justalayman

California. See first post.
I swear that wasn't there when i posted.

So, presuming the car is 1976 or newer but more than 4 years old (if a gasoline engine) or
Older than a 1998 model or greater than 14,000 gvwr
And the seller was not a spouse, parent, grand parent, child, or grand child, or it isn't an out of state titled vehicle, yes, the seller is obligated to provide a recent smog cert (I think less than 90 days old).

If they don't you can seek a rescission. If they will not willingly comply you can sue them.

Since this is the fathers car, that is who you sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">