• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing the City?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akede2001

Looking at suing Seattle, WA in small claims for the maximum (5,000). I was recently arrested on charges that I was 1) Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon, and 2) Unlawfully displaying it. However, the permit I had on me (issued by WA state) was and is still valid. I was able to verify it within 2 minutes by calling the Sherriff's office. The second charge is bogus, and there was not a single witness to say a firearm was visible. I later learned that the person that called 911 did not even witness what happened, she only heard of the argument that went on, and called in case there was a firearm and I'd return. The person I had the argument with stated that he didn't see a gun, and that there was no mention of having one, or using one. Both of these charges have been dropped. The officer that had arrested me is new.

This event led to an expensive legal and medical bill. On the way to one of my hearings I passed out in the court lobby and was taken to a nearby hospital by ambulance. I was diagnosed with a syncope likely brought on by stress.

I'm not sure what they were doing, or why they decided to arrest me when they knew already that they had no case. They pushed really hard to try to get me to accept a plea bargain. I did nothing wrong in this situation: I did not start the argument and I was the one to leave before it escalated into anything. There were no threats, punches, threatening gestures, etc. Not only that but Washington is an open carry state. Even if I had my firearm on me and made it visible, as long as it remained holstered it would not have been considered unlawful display. The charge was essentially that I had actually taken it out and waved it around, which is absolutely ridiculous.

I'd like to go for the $5,000 which won't even recover my legal and medical costs which arose from this event.. but it will help. Is it even possible to sue the City? I don't really have money for an attorney to go for more. Are there lawyers that would handle something like this for no up front costs?

tranquility

This is not a small claims case. I'd go through all the problems, but won't. Sue in grown up court, maybe even federal court as that's where it will end up and you might as well be ready. See an attorney. Period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">