• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a defendant who stole my car for property damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dwatson12255

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

My vehicle was stolen and the person who stole it traded it in using forgery. I recovered the car 10 months later and the person was caught and arrested. He is currently facing 5 criminal charges in MA. My vehicle has lots of mechanical damage as a result of this theft. Can I sue him in small claims court for property damage while criminal charges are pending?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

noho

I'd find out what your states statute of limitation is and sue him after conviction. Add everything you can in there including depreciation of vehicle, wear and tear and malfunction. Sue his ass off. Then garnish his pay checks when he goes back to a job.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Was your insurance company involved when the vehicle was stolen?

What type of car is it? You will only be able to recover up to the fair market value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">