• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Ex for boob job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

formattssake

What is the name of your state? Texas

I need some help with some case law. I opened a credit card in my name so my girlfriend could charge her comsetic surgery to it and make the monthly payments on the card. I have numerous emails back and forth between us while we were together and after we split about her incurring the debt in my name and her admission from the get go about it being a LOAN. I am filing suit and wanted to beef up my complaint with some case law. Any state is fine. I'll even take resources about repaying verbal loan agreements that don't have anyhting to do with cosmetice surgery. Thanks!

rmet4nzkx

How much of a loan?
What is the limitation in Small Clains court?
Has she paid any on the charges?
When was the debt incurred?
When did you break up?
Do you have a common law marriage?
Look up Doctrine of Estoppel

HomeGuru

formattssake said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I need some help with some case law. I opened a credit card in my name so my girlfriend could charge her comsetic surgery to it and make the monthly payments on the card. I have numerous emails back and forth between us while we were together and after we split about her incurring the debt in my name and her admission from the get go about it being a LOAN. I am filing suit and wanted to beef up my complaint with some case law. Any state is fine. I'll even take resources about repaying verbal loan agreements that don't have anyhting to do with cosmetice surgery. Thanks!
**A: next time find a girl with naturally big boobs.

formattssake

She charged $5000 to my credit card for the surgery. We were not a common law marriage. We never comingled funds. She could not get approved for patient financing so I let her incur the debt in my good name. She has not paid a penny on the card. I have numerous emails where she says she will pay me for the debt on the card when she gets her bonus at work or when she gets her tax return etc. We broke up last summer and I waited this long b/c she told me she would pay me from her tax return. Now she tells me she will pay me when she sells her car. I am concerned about a statute of limitations on how long I can wait to file. I believe the limit in small claims court is $5000.

Disclaimer: Not a lawyer :)
Disclaimer #2: Not a smart-@$$ like most people here (quickly finding that this is a less-than-helpful forum)

1. I think the SoL is 2 years in TX.

2. You're right at the limit for SCC ($5k) so you might make sure you're not over.

3. If she honestly can't pay, all you might get from SCC would be the satisfaction that you won. She might just be as faithful paying the settlement as she is the card.

4. Ever think about an actual lawyer and "regular" court for this? $5k might well be worth the lawyer's fees...

Hope that helps. Sorry I'm not more knowledgeable :(

rmet4nzkx

Carl,
Your comments about other members don't help OP at all. Sometimes we need more information in order to give advice. You acknowledge that you are not an attorney. Like with your case, no one can say how a judge will rule before they review the facts and evidence. There is no reason to have an attitude just because you don't like the answer you get to your post. There are reasons both you and the person you want to sue, avoided your insurance companies and why you opened your post with this statement,
CarlJStoneham said:
I'll try to present the facts with as much honesty as possible.

The problem OP has based on his answers to my questions is one of proving there was a loan before the breakup and that she didn't get the breast augmentation at OP's insistance and only responded to his demands after the breakup re potential payment to avoid harassment and that it was a gift.

You are correct, if OP wins in court, it will be difficult to collect and he can't extract the implants as payment.

rmet4nzkx,
please stay on topic. If you have a beef with my post, don't muck OP's up with your "rebuttal" to mine. Common courtesy...

My responses to OP were meant to answer specific questions to the best of my knowledge. Acknowledging that I am not a lawyer is not only courteous but paramount since some people will act on anything they read online.

Second, I wasn't taking exception to your post here. It WAS useful since it sought to futher clarify the case. Incredulity that two boobs only cost $5k or comments about finding a girl w/ naturally big boobs are not helpful. My comment about a less-than-helpful forum is based on numerous posts I've read by several members, not yours (though I will confess that your replies to my other post addressed assumed/misread questions (but you can read my rebuttal in the original post)). Perhaps eveyone's just been in a sarcastic mood lately, but I see alot of laughter aimed at the misfortune/naivete of others. Pretty sad commentary if you ask me. Someone on this forum is in a pretty serious state if they're considering court and newbies could use meaningful, "in depth" advice. Might do well for the "elders" to keep that in mind. If someone isn't going to be helpful, why are they here?

ENASNI

sheesh

CarlJStoneham said:
rmet4nzkx,
please stay on topic. If you have a beef with my post, don't muck OP's up with your "rebuttal" to mine. Common courtesy...

My responses to OP were meant to answer specific questions to the best of my knowledge. Acknowledging that I am not a lawyer is not only courteous but paramount since some people will act on anything they read online.

Second, I wasn't taking exception to your post here. It WAS useful since it sought to futher clarify the case. Incredulity that two boobs only cost $5k or comments about finding a girl w/ naturally big boobs are not helpful. My comment about a less-than-helpful forum is based on numerous posts I've read by several members, not yours (though I will confess that your replies to my other post addressed assumed/misread questions (but you can read my rebuttal in the original post)). Perhaps eveyone's just been in a sarcastic mood lately, but I see alot of laughter aimed at the misfortune/naivete of others. Pretty sad commentary if you ask me. Someone on this forum is in a pretty serious state if they're considering court and newbies could use meaningful, "in depth" advice. Might do well for the "elders" to keep that in mind. If someone isn't going to be helpful, why are they here?
The bar is not open yet.

Sheesh you whine a lot for someone who has two masters.. What are they in Complaining and Preaching?

I can only hope to one day be like you

Sheesh you whine a lot for someone who has two masters.. What are they in Complaining and Preaching?
Ahhh. The ubiquitous "I can't think of anything meaingful to say so I'll resort to insults". An oh-so-effective strategy, mastered by only the most brilliant. I applaud your clever wit. And it only took you two edits to get it right! You truly are an intellectual giant... :rolleyes:

(PS Just in case you need it to look up some of those big words: www.dictionary.com)

ENASNI

CarlJStoneham said:
Ahhh. The ubiquitous "I can't think of anything meaingful to say so I'll resort to insults". An oh-so-effective strategy, mastered by only the most brilliant. I applaud your clever wit. And it only took you two edits to get it right! You truly are an intellectual giant... :rolleyes:

(PS Just in case you need it to look up some of those big words: www.dictionary.com)
meaingful
No I got the big ones without your oh so helpful link. but this one I am having a problem with.

rmet4nzkx

CarlJStoneham said:
rmet4nzkx,

I addressed my comments to you so as not to muck up OP's thread, indeed it is you who is the Troll and hijacking his thread as a platform to attack senior members, without cause and most of whom know far more about the law, than you.

While my questions were for clarity, the answere to those questions also demonstrate the weakness in OP's post, without further comment. Please go back to your original thread and contemplate the answers and why you must follow a reasonable course of action before bringing suit.

ENASNI, I still get two more edits to fix my post like you, right? ("row" for "two"...?) Nah, i'll leave it. Feels more honest...

rmet, you WERE mucking up this post. I fail to see how the quote
There is no reason to have an attitude just because you don't like the answer you get to your post. There are reasons both you and the person you want to sue, avoided your insurance companies and why you opened your post with this statement...
is even remotely helpful to formattssake's position. I was correct to criticize other posters on this thread, unless you can explain how
**A: next time find a girl with naturally big boobs.
and
I'm concerned just what kind of boob job you can get for five grand. Was that for just one?
are "[needing] more information to give advice." There are other examples in other posts, but my modem loads this site too slowly for me to post (though the contest for the "Dumbest Case" or whatever is up there).

Your post was helpful, so I'm still not sure how you felt I was attacking you. Just because I don't feel you were initially helpful in my other post doesn't mean I feel that way about this one. I'm able to separate my feelings in one thread from another. Are you? I've spent much of the day browsing this forum to find my answer before asking a question. I've seen many people post with situations that were important to them, only to be met with look-down-your-nose sarcasm or outright ridicule. Perhaps I'm expecting too much from an internet forum, but I guess I expected a higher standard from a site that claims to be the "Leading Legal Advice Site for Consumers".

And as for "[attacking] senior members", I'm sorry you feel that way. If I see someone being an @$$ or not taking someone else's dilemma seriously, I'm gonna call it and I could care less how many posts you have. If you label this trolling, so be it. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing then. And, though I can't speak for the OP, if I had asked a serious question and gotten some of the responses this thread generated, I'd appreciate someone calling it for what it is. Perhaps I take my responsibilities as a senior member on my other forums too seriously and have expected too much from you all here. When I answer, I try to give a somewhat in depth answer and I always try to "condemn" posts that make light of another person's misfortune. Perhaps you all get a lot of bogus posts here and have become jaded. Dunno. Again, maybe I'm taking this site too seriously and placing too much weight on the byline. Or maybe you reply to 300 posts a day and don't have much time for in-depth responses. If so, bravo... I guess.

Now, formattssake, I apologize profusely if I've hijacked your thread. I tend to get a little hot when I see what I consider to be callouslness to another's misfortune. If I've overstepped my bounds, I beg your forgiveness. I will salvage what little "calmness" I have left and leave this post behind. I gave what little advice I have and I hope it's helpful. FWIW, I hope you find a fair and equitable solution to your dilemma. And on a COMPLETELY different topic, from one Texan to another: Go Lance!

I

itsacatsworld

Hey for 5k I want a judgement on my boobs for life or an experiance where they were worth it. Pay now or pay later...............those are my tittitties

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">