• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Ex-Roommate for Unpaid Rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sloanmp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I want to take my ex-roommate for unpaid rent of over $4000. We rented a house in Georgia but he now lives in VA (where I'm originally from) and I have also moved out of state. Does it matter which state I take him to court in? I have the lease that he signed and my other roommate has also agreed to be a witness. Is there any other supporting documentation I will need?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I want to take my ex-roommate for unpaid rent of over $4000. We rented a house in Georgia but he now lives in VA (where I'm originally from) and I have also moved out of state. Does it matter which state I take him to court in? I have the lease that he signed and my other roommate has also agreed to be a witness. Is there any other supporting documentation I will need?
You're going to need to sue him in his state.

latigo

I can't tell from your post whether your claim for unpaid rent sounds in contract involving your subleasing to the defendant, or that you are seeking contribution from him for his agreed proportionate share of rent that you, being jointly and severally liable to the lessor for the entire rent, were required to pay on his behalf.

In any case it is a "transitory action" and can be filed in any state where the defendant can be personally served with process.

Now, if you want to know what evidence is necessary to establish your claim in court, you will need to explain in detail why you believe he is personally liable to you in that amount.

Merely submitting a "lease" with his name on it won't do. And so far that is all you have given us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">