• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing Handyman, Chances of Collecting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

julbox3134

What is the name of your state? GA

I signed a contract with a local handyman for several jobs around my home. Basically, I paid for the materials upfront (I've since learned to never do that)in the form of a check for $1700. He cashed it and came and did a pathetic job including not properly venting a hot water heater. I called a plumber who told me it was not only leaking Carbon Monoxide, but was a fire hazard as well. He purchased a couple of the items he was supposed to per our contract. After two days, he never showed back up and didn't call for a couple of days. When he did call, we gave him two opportunities to meet with us to discuss what course we would take. He never showed. He ordered my flooring for my kitchen, but after picking it up, he returned it for cash (we have proof of this transaction). After going to magistrate court for the criminal act of "theft by conversion" he was arrested and awaits a court date. Other than cashing the check, he has done nothing criminally wrong in the eyes of the law and now we have to file a civil suit to recover our losses and punitive damages as a result of his mess. Is it likely we will recover any of it?

JETX

"Is it likely we will recover any of it?"
*** There is no way that anyone on this forum can answer that question for you. Simply, we don't know the person or what assets he might have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">