• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

Here's an actual, honest to God, story about a similar circumstance that, after you read, you'll say, "Hey, I wasn't hurt so bad after all."

Before I started practicing law in 1980, I clerked for an attorney by the name of Eugene Bambic. He had been a "past President" of, and get this, the California Trial Lawyers Association. He was a wonderful medical malpractice attorney, and everyone admired him. He was good. No doubt about it. If you had a malpractice claim, Eugene was the man to see. Even other attorneys used his services. That's how good this guy was.

Anyway, what few of us knew at the time was the Eugene had 4 prior wives, with 8 minor children, with varying ages, from all four short lived marriages.

He had Spousal Support payments and Child Support payments that would "Choke a horse." We're talking tens of thousands each month.

Well, business wasn't doing so well for Eugene. Not that he was out of business, but there was a definite downturn. He couldn't "crack the Support nut" each month.

He had a woman client who had a Federal claim based upon a Navy doctor's medical malpractice due to a sloppy brain surgery performed on her 5 year old child. The child was rendered severely brain injured as the result of the botched surgery.

So, because of his money problems, he went ahead behind Momma Bear's back, and settled an otherwise multi-hundreds of thousands dollar case (probably worth in the mid 6 figures) for a paltry $50,000.00!

Eugene had apparently forged Momma Bear's signature to the settlement agreement, and on the settlement draft. In the hopes of making "it grow", he went to Las Vegas! He lost all the money!

He kept putting Momma Bear off for months and months. But, Momma Bear got a little uneasy about the lack of communication between her and Eugene. So, what does she do? She calls and speaks to the opposing attorney assigned to her lawsuit. Lo and behold, he tells her that the case was settled months earlier!

She calls the State Bar, who in turn, get the Feds involved. So, one day, the California Highway Patrol, the State Bar Investigators, and the FBI come to the office, place Eugene in handcuffs, and cart him and ALL of his file cabinets away.

It turns out, this Federal case was just the tip of the iceberg, and that Eugene had been doing the same thing with many other files, both State and other Federal cases!

I think the total tally was well over 6 Million dollars worth of unauthorized settlements.

It was his arrest, and eventual disbarment and incarceration, that caused the California State Bar Fraud Fund dues to be dramatically increased!

So, there was a real domino effect on both attorneys and clients because of what Eugene did.

Oh, and about Momma Bear and baby? Well, all she was able to get for her child was $50,000.00 from the Bar Fund because, at that time, that was the maximum amount any person could obtain from the fund, which happened to be the same amount that Eugene had settled the case. That fund has since grown to 250K per person, per claim. And we're all paying extra for that!

So, yes, we all live and learn.

IAAL

By the way, the above is not defamatory to Eugene Bambic because it's the truth - - 100%, and the truth is an absolute bar to liability!

O

oneandonly

IAAL....

so, is Eugene still in jail or living in a trailer now?
*sorry, had to ask~lol*

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: IAAL....

oneandonly said:
so, is Eugene still in jail or living in a trailer now?
*sorry, had to ask~lol*

My response:

Actually, that's another side of this story - - the epilogue, if you will.

Anyway, Eugene's Federal prison sentence ran concurrently with his State prison sentence - - all of 4 years behind bars.

But, and this is a big "but", remember I said that Eugene had settled a bunch of cases that netted him about 6 Million Dollars? Well, what we found out during the succeeding 4 years of his sentence is that the Federal prosecutors were never able to find out what he did with that 6 Million. We found out later, through family and friend rumor and innuendo, that Eugene, apparently, expected to be arrested and had, prior to his arrest, salted the vast majority of that money, if not all, away into a Swiss Bank Account!

After he was released from the Federal "Tennis & Swimming Pool Club", we found out that he left the United States. And, where do you think he moved to? You guessed it - - Switzerland - - to live out his remaining years, high on the hog! And that's the last I heard about good ol' Eugene!

IAAL

O

oneandonly

interesting...

sounds like one of those made-for-t.v.-movies-of-the-week~

so, I take it he has a double-wide? with great insulation?
lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">