• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing for money owed - long distance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mtt5010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? District of Columbia

I'm planning to sue someone who is refusing to pay back money I lent them in October - roughly $5,000. The problem is that they live in Los Angeles, I'm in D.C. and I read that you need to file in the county where the party is being sued. But I also read that I can sue where the services were performed. Can I sue in D.C. since that is where I sent the money from? If not, how would I go about submitting a law suit in Los Angeles?

Also, I read that I can sue for up to $10,000 plus court costs. Clearly I'd be suing for $5,000 but if I have to go to LA, would I be able to sue for the additional costs of flying and lodging to get there?

Thanks!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? District of Columbia

I'm planning to sue someone who is refusing to pay back money I lent them in October - roughly $5,000. The problem is that they live in Los Angeles, I'm in D.C. and I read that you need to file in the county where the party is being sued. But I also read that I can sue where the services were performed. Can I sue in D.C. since that is where I sent the money from? If not, how would I go about submitting a law suit in Los Angeles?
No, you will need to sue in L.A.

Also, I read that I can sue for up to $10,000 plus court costs. Clearly I'd be suing for $5,000 but if I have to go to LA, would I be able to sue for the additional costs of flying and lodging to get there?
No, you can't recover those costs

You're welcome.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're welcome. One thing I didn't give you is the web site for small claims in LA County: http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/smallclaims/ui/

Also, you can't be represented by an attorney for this in CA. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">