• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing My Ex-Girlfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RRJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Hi, about a year ago on the month of Nov. I loaned my girlfriend (who at the time I was living with, in her families home) 1,650 dollars towards the purchase of a new laptop computer. We wrote up a contract specifying she would pay me back in $50 increments per month via money order. We broke up in late December and I moved out, having not yet received a single payment. Till this day I have not received a dime, and have even gone out of my way to substantially lower the the amount of payment due just to rectify and be done with this situation. This past month she began to completely ignore my calls and text's messages and I have now realized it's about time to sue. I am moving at the end of this month to Sacramento (currently living in Escondido Ca), and I reckon I must sue in the location the contract was created. My question is, will she be liable to pay for the cost of me having to travel back and forth from Sacramento to Escondido? Gas adds up to at least 200$ round trip, plus lodging and any other expenses. Or is this something I will have to eat up myself? Thanks.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Is the money, time and hassle involved worth more than the value of the laptop? Right now, I could probably pick up one similar in specs that one (whatever they are) for about $500 or less on eBay (unless we're talking Apple). Shoot, I can drive down to the local Antiques/Computer Shop and buy a new Lenovo for $600. :cool:

I'd kiss it goodbye and consider what has happened stupid tax. You won't do it again..... ;)

dcatz

And yes, you will have to eat that expense. If you file and win, you’re entitled to recover “costs”. Costs are your filing fee and the expense to get her served. The rest is on you.

RRJ

Is the money, time and hassle involved worth more than the value of the laptop? Right now, I could probably pick up one similar in specs that one (whatever they are) for about $500 or less on eBay (unless we're talking Apple). Shoot, I can drive down to the local Antiques/Computer Shop and buy a new Lenovo for $600. :cool:

I'd kiss it goodbye and consider what has happened stupid tax. You won't do it again..... ;)
The computer is of no concern to me. She bought it herself from Dell, but with minimum payments and finance charges adding up she could no longer afford it - that's when I lent her the money to pay it off. Perhaps you misunderstood my question, no worries.

RRJ

And yes, you will have to eat that expense. If you file and win, you’re entitled to recover “costs”. Costs are your filing fee and the expense to get her served. The rest is on you.
Thank you. I'm sure the 10% interest on the money owed will pay off for the expenses anyhow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">