• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing my local Dunkin Donuts shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Colonel's Wife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I got a written store credit after purchasing 50 boxes of "joe" in advance for a community outreach event where I was a volunteer. I was able to use all except 17, hence the credit.

I go today to use it and the DD owner goes crazy saying he won't honor it and that I should of picked up all the boxes the day of purchase. That would have been fine had they told me that instead of issuing me a credit for the remaining balance. Prior to today's meeting, I had only ever dealt with the store manager a woman named Bridget who I assumed had the authority to issue the credit.

So I filed a small claims case against the shop/owner today for $200, the approximate value plus taxes. What do you think my chances of winning are? I still have the written credit as evidence. Shop owner says I got a ridiculous discount for buying bulk and to honor the credit now (4 months after original transaction) would cost him too much. I don't understand how that is either true or even my fault, after all we are talking about coffee here.

Antigone*

I got a written store credit after purchasing 50 boxes of "joe" in advance for a community outreach event where I was a volunteer. I was able to use all except 17, hence the credit.

I go today to use it and the DD owner goes crazy saying he won't honor it and that I should of picked up all the boxes the day of purchase. That would have been fine had they told me that instead of issuing me a credit for the remaining balance. Prior to today's meeting, I had only ever dealt with the store manager a woman named Bridget who I assumed had the authority to issue the credit.

So I filed a small claims case against the shop/owner today for $200, the approximate value plus taxes. What do you think my chances of winning are? I still have the written credit as evidence. Shop owner says I got a ridiculous discount for buying bulk and to honor the credit now (4 months after original transaction) would cost him too much. I don't understand how that is either true or even my fault, after all we are talking about coffee here.
I'd bet dollars-to-donuts that you have a chance :D

...sorry couldn't help myself:p

wyett717

They are not required to honor your credit, it was simply a courtesy on their part. Discounts, coupons, and any other offers can usually be rescinded at any time.

Colonel's Wife

They are not required to honor your credit, it was simply a courtesy on their part. Discounts, coupons, and any other offers can usually be rescinded at any time.
I would argue that a credit is different than a coupon or discount. I paid for a service/product. It was not used and now store gets to enriched because of it. Seems unfair. BTW, they kept the 17 extra boxes I never picked up or was ever in possession of them. And there is no loss since they brewed the coffee as needed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would argue that a credit is different than a coupon or discount. I paid for a service/product. It was not used and now store gets to enriched because of it. Seems unfair. BTW, they kept the 17 extra boxes I never picked up or was ever in possession of them. And there is no loss since they brewed the coffee as needed.
I agree. However, nobody here can really say how the court will rule.

Let us know how it turns out!

HomeGuru

**A: DD is a franchise so contact the franchisor office.

Hot Topic

{Quote}Shop owner says I got a ridiculous discount for buying bulk and to honor the credit now (4 months after original transaction) would cost him too much.{Unquote}

So the original transaction took place FOUR MONTHS ago, and you sued him TODAY? I think you've got a lot of nerve, and I suspect the word will go out - if it hasn't already - not to give price breaks to anyone for any reason.

JETX

I got a written store credit after purchasing 50 boxes of "joe" in advance for a community outreach event where I was a volunteer.
Who paid for the 'Joe'... you or the community outreach??
Is the credit in YOUR name??
Can you PROVE that you paid and did not receive a reimbursement for the expense??
These are all questions you should look forward to in the hearing.

What do you think my chances of winning are?
Probably not good. Most credits, coupons, etc. say that they can not be exchanged for cash.

Zigner

Probably not good. Most credits, coupons, etc. say that they can not be exchanged for cash.
OP wasn't trying to exchange for cash.

BUT - I smell something fishy. OP went TODAY to try to use it...was denied and filed a case TODAY :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Colonel's Wife

Nothing fishy here...

I was given credit in lieu of cash refund. The credit said I could use at any time (no expiration) at any of the franchisee's 3 locations. So, 4 months later, when I needed a box of coffee, I went to redeem it with my credit.

As the store owner gave it to me, he told me he would not honor the remaining balance of the credit. He just apparently changed his mind right there on the spot. I will argue in court that I was willing to forfeit cash for product, but the owner changed the terms of what was essentially a contract, i.e., the store credit. I think this was a pretty dumb move on the owner's part because it's not very likely that I would ever redeem the full value of credit. I'm an Army wife and will likely move before I could use it all. I'm suing now on sheer priniciple.

BTW, I paid for the coffee out of pocket. I donated it to the community outreach event, just because I could. Also, DD owner agreed to give discount because he wanted the people who would be at this event to see and be photgraphed with his cups, napkins, etc. So, he was doing this as way of guerrilla marketing himself and his shops. Just so you know.

Zigner

I was given credit in lieu of cash refund. The credit said I could use at any time (no expiration) at any of the franchisee's 3 locations. So, 4 months later, when I needed a box of coffee, I went to redeem it with my credit.

As the store owner gave it to me, he told me he would not honor the remaining balance of the credit. He just apparently changed his mind right there on the spot. I will argue in court that I was willing to forfeit cash for product, but the owner changed the terms of what was essentially a contract, i.e., the store credit. I think this was a pretty dumb move on the owner's part because it's not very likely that I would ever redeem the full value of credit. I'm an Army wife and will likely move before I could use it all. I'm suing now on sheer priniciple.

BTW, I paid for the coffee out of pocket. I donated it to the community outreach event, just because I could. Also, DD owner agreed to give discount because he wanted the people who would be at this event to see and be photgraphed with his cups, napkins, etc. So, he was doing this as way of guerrilla marketing himself and his shops. Just so you know.
Again, something is fishy. You tried to use the "credit" yesterday AND filed your small claims suit yesterday?

Also, the owner was well within his rights to expect that you use the credit all at once...

Colonel's Wife

Huh?

I don't understand why my timing is fishy? I filed yesterday because he breached our deal yesterday. Prior to that we had an agreement that I believed would be honored. Why file before that or wait any longer?

Additionally, the store credit came with what looks like a little coffee punch card. To be punched depending on the number of items redeemed. My credit says nothing redeeming it all at once. (Which I would be okay with too. I'd just donate the coffee to my local homeless/battered woman's shelter.) My problem is owner says he will not honor the credit at all.

Last edited:

Zigner

I don't understand why my timing is fishy? I filed yesterday because he breached our deal yesterday. Prior to that we had an agreement that I believed would be honored. Why I file before that or wait any longer?

Additionally, the store credit came with what looks like a little coffee punch card. To be punched depending on the number of items redeemed. My credit says nothing redeeming it all at once. (Which I would be okay with too. I'd just donate the coffee to my local homeless/battered woman's shelter.) My problem is owner says he will not honor the at all.
Then why did you even mention that he wouldn't honor the "remaining" balance?

Tell you what, tell us how it goes in court. :rolleyes:

Colonel's Wife

Will do... I was just practicing my presentation with you guys here on the message board.

I guess I wasn't making myself clear. Ok, one more time. I have a remaining balance because I went yesterday to redeem 1 of 17 boxes of product as allowed by my store credit. Store owner gave me 1 box and told me he would no longer honor the credit for the remaining balance of 16 boxes. So value of the purchase would be lost to me. Is that any clearer?

There was nothing said about take all now or forget it. He essentially said that despite our written agreement that I was SOL.

I know the advice I get here is worth what I pay for it, but I appreciate the intellectual exercise.

wyett717

Were you redeeming the credit for yourself, or for the community outreach program you originally got the coffee for?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">