• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing original debtor or debt collector after civil case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hellsbells

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

I am being sued by a debt collection company for a debt that is not mine. If I lose the civil case can I sue the original debtor or collection agency in small claims court to recover what I lost in the civil case?

LdiJ

I am being sued by a debt collection company for a debt that is not mine. If I lose the civil case can I sue the original debtor or collection agency in small claims court to recover what I lost in the civil case?
Just prove that the debt is not yours and you should win the civil case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

(Small claims court IS civil court - just a different division.)

Are you asking if the following can occur? You get sued by Company A. Company A wins. You would then like to sue Company A for the amount you were determined to owe. Is that what you would like to do?

Hellsbells

(Small claims court IS civil court - just a different division.)

Are you asking if the following can occur? You get sued by Company A. Company A wins. You would then like to sue Company A for the amount you were determined to owe. Is that what you would like to do?
Sue either the debt collection company or the original debtor.

Hellsbells

Just prove that the debt is not yours and you should win the civil case.
Isn't the burden of proving the debt on the plaintiff and not the defendant? The original debtor in this case is an medical testing lab that I did not authorize. The order was placed with the lab by a doctor that I was seeing at the time. I had no knowledge the test was ordered. The doctor is the client to the lab, not me.

Zigner

Isn't the burden of proving the debt on the plaintiff and not the defendant? The original debtor in this case is an medical testing lab that I did not authorize. The order was placed with the lab by a doctor that I was seeing at the time. I had no knowledge the test was ordered. The doctor is the client to the lab, not me.
No, you're wrong. You were the client.

Zigner

You're not going to listen to anything here that you don't want to hear, so I'll just go back to the original question: Can you sue the doctor and/or the collector when the doctor and/or collector win a lawsuit against you? The answer is no.

Good luck to you.

Hellsbells

You're not going to listen to anything here that you don't want to hear, so I'll just go back to the original question: Can you sue the doctor and/or the collector when the doctor and/or collector win a lawsuit against you? The answer is no.

Good luck to you.
I am listening and appreciate your replies. I am assuming in the civil case the plaintiff would have to prove the debt is valid and that it was authorized by me. Would that be correct to assume? When they filed the complaint they did not attach a copy of any contracts, bills, etc.

Proserpina

I am listening and appreciate your replies. I am assuming in the civil case the plaintiff would have to prove the debt is valid and that it was authorized by me. Would that be correct to assume? When they filed the complaint they did not attach a copy of any contracts, bills, etc.
They will be able to prove the debt is yours.

Imagine if you were rushed to the ER; they would run a battery of tests without your authorization, right? You'd be responsible for those tests, too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">