• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing over property that both parties paid for

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edub187

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hey there. I'm new to these forums, but hopefully someone out there can help me out. My situation is this:

I dated this girl for almost eight years, after we met in college. While in college, she lived at my house without paying rent or bills for almost two years, since at the time I was working and going to school, as was she, but I was making significantly more than her. When she graduated, she bought a house back home in MD. I graduated six months later, and moved in with her. I lived there rent-free (but paid utilities) for about five months, until I found a steady job. While we were living at her house, me paying half the "rent" (which was actually the mortgage that she will get back once she sells the house), we split a really nice, brand new wide screen flat panel tv. I put in $2000, she put in a little over $1000.

When we broke up, we were came to an agreement (both parties) that there was no need to move my stuff out right away, since I was having trouble locating a premanent place for myself and my stuff, and she had led me to believe we would be getting back together.

Well things are def. over now, and all I want is either the tv, or the $2000 I put in. She has said she will give me neither, as she feels she doesn't owe me anything because I stayed at her house rent free for those months ("forgetting" the two years I let her stay with me). I even offered up a deal: $1000 from her, she keeps the tv (I'm buying my brother's tv for $1000). She again refused. I have proof of my investment into the tv, and proof of her staying with me rent-free all that time. Do I have a legitimate claim? Would it be worth it to take her to court for that money? I appreciate anyone's advice as to what I should do.

Thanks.

djohnson

My personal opinion is that your chances of getting anything is slim to none. If she shows she paid for the TV (even if you can show you gave her money) she can claim it as a gift or anything else. It would be up to you to prove anything. From just what you have said you really can't prove anything. Ofcourse you can still try, that is just my opinion.

edub187

I appreciate the response. I guess I didn't mention that the proof of payment I have is to the company that we bought the tv from. I paid with a check, written out to them, and she put the remaining balance on a credit card. Does this bolster my case?

djohnson

It's going to be up to you to prove anything. All she has to do is say you agreed to pay for half of it for her birthday or whatever. What proof or evidence do you to disprove that? even though you can prove you paid for a portion of it, I don't think it will be enough to get you anywhere. Ofcourse you can always try and see what happens and hope you get a prorated percentage of what you paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">