• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing a Revoked, Out-of-State Corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tasmme

CALIFORNIA - We signed a contract with what we thought was a California corporation as they gave us a Los Angeles address. We now have to file a claim due to non-payment. Upon research we learned the company was incorporated in Nevada & that the current status is "Revoked". I am at a loss at to my next step. How do we sue an out-of-state company? How do I find out if the corporate veil has been pierced (as I know exactly where the President lives and it's in California).

tranquility

I'd be willing to bet CA has jurisdiction and you could sue in California court if the contract was signed in CA and they gave a Los Angeles address. More facts would be needed though.

Piercing the corporate veil can only be done with facts you know and through discovery. I'd certainly add him as a defendant if your facts would indicate a chance to pierce.

CALIFORNIA - We signed a contract with what we thought was a California corporation as they gave us a Los Angeles address. We now have to file a claim due to non-payment. Upon research we learned the company was incorporated in Nevada & that the current status is "Revoked". I am at a loss at to my next step. How do we sue an out-of-state company? How do I find out if the corporate veil has been pierced (as I know exactly where the President lives and it's in California).
Revoked does not mean out of business. It likely means that they did not pay their 250 dollar annual fee. You can still serve on the registered agent I believe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">