• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suing roommate for utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garrettb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Hi, I had a roommate who attempted to pay our Gas & Electric bill with stolen check and cc from grandparents. He first gave me his grandfathers credit card to pay online and said it was authorized. Few weeks later the charges were reversed. He then gave me a bad check from his grandmother that he forged but also said was authorized. It was made out to Comed.I sent the payment in and went through but, sure enough, few weeks later the check amount was reversed back onto the bill. After this is asked him to leave for non payment. The lease is in my name and bills are in my other roommates name. Is having those payments from his family enough to prove that he owed me that money and is responsible?

BL

Hi, I had a roommate who attempted to pay our Gas & Electric bill with stolen check and cc from grandparents. He first gave me his grandfathers credit card to pay online and said it was authorized. Few weeks later the charges were reversed. He then gave me a bad check from his grandmother that he forged but also said was authorized. It was made out to Comed.I sent the payment in and went through but, sure enough, few weeks later the check amount was reversed back onto the bill. After this is asked him to leave for non payment. The lease is in my name and bills are in my other roommates name. Is having those payments from his family enough to prove that he owed me that money and is responsible?
Why would you be due utility money if the utilities are in your other room-mate's name?

Is this crooked room-mate being prosecuted?

You do not indicate any written agreement(s).

garrettb

I guess im speaking on behalf of my other roommate then...we would looking into taking him to court together I suppose. I don't think his grandparents are pressing charges against him. Nothing is in writing

BL

I guess im speaking on behalf of my other roommate then...we would looking into taking him to court together I suppose. I don't think his grandparents are pressing charges against him. Nothing is in writing
Had this room mate been paying their share of utilities monthly with proof of payment ?

What was the verbal rental agreement ?

Who is the primary tenant / landlord to this room-mate ?

garrettb

I was responsible for internet, cable, trash and water. the other roommate (one that bailed) for electric and gas. the third roommate is my fiance and was not in any verbal agreement except to put the bills in her name for us. She stayed there only a few nights a week.

BL

I was responsible for internet, cable, trash and water. the other roommate (one that bailed) for electric and gas. the third roommate is my fiance and was not in any verbal agreement except to put the bills in her name for us. She stayed there only a few nights a week.
So ,the room-mate bailed ( moved out ? ) without paying any agreed gas & Elect. monthly bills ?

garrettb

ya he no longer lives here...he moved out after an argument about this whole situation im explaining. didnt pay electric or gas once...when he tried to catch up (electric was $1000 & gas $800) thats when he used his grandparents stolen cc and check

latigo

Your testimony as to the agreement that he was to pay those utilities and that he failed to pay them in such and such an amount is good enough to make a prima facie case.

You don't really thing that this felon is going to voluntarily get within a mile of a courthouse do you?

If it will make you feel better, go ahead and file and take your judgment, but you'll never collect it.

garrettb

i think he would show up actually. my question is do you think im wasting my time bringing him to court...basically do i have a case with good evidence (proof from the utility company's that he tried to pay with bogus means)

BL

i think he would show up actually. my question is do you think im wasting my time bringing him to court...basically do i have a case with good evidence (proof from the utility company's that he tried to pay with bogus means)
The utilities are not in your name.

The court may wonder why they are in someone else's name for that rental,and may not believe they stayed there only a few nights a week.

Thus making them responsible , or partially responsible.

It's anyone's guess how the court would rule .

If you or you fiancé were to obtain a judgment ,then collection would be the next step,and that is not for a court to do for you.

swalsh411

He gave you a credit card with somebody else's name on it so you could pay the bill that is in his name? And then he gave you a check from somebody's elses account so you could again attempt to pay the bill for the utility that is in his name? Didn't you think something fishy was going on?

BL

He gave you a credit card with somebody else's name on it so you could pay the bill that is in his name? And then he gave you a check from somebody's elses account so you could again attempt to pay the bill for the utility that is in his name? Didn't you think something fishy was going on?
I think there is more here than what's being led on and a court is not going to go along with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">