• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing for Sentimental value of jewelry?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

l12

I am in Florida but the company involved is based in Rhode Island.

I bought my wife a necklace for her first birthday since we married.

It broke but was under warranty from the jeweler (a big national company).

They agreed to repair it if I sent it back.

Weeks later I get a gift certificate in the mail from them for the original value with no explanation.

I ask and they say that they couldn't repair the necklace so they just refunded me and got rid of the necklace.

The necklace has great sentimental value to my wife and I and I'm sure it could have been repaired somewhere else, which we would have done if they had not offered to repair it. (It wasn't very broken really). They admit they were wrong to dispose of it without asking us if we wanted it back, but they did.

Is it possible to sue them for more than the value of the necklace (about $150) due to its sentimental value not to mention the frustration in dealing with them (they never return phone calls, etc.)? Not to mention various shipping costs.

Thank you,
M L

ForFun

Is it possible to sue them for more than the value of the necklace (about $150) due to its sentimental value not to mention the frustration in dealing with them (they never return phone calls, etc.)? Not to mention various shipping costs.
Nope...it's not possible to successfully sue for any of the 3 things you listed above. In fact, you're lucky that you were refunded the original price of the necklace since you would only be entitled to the market value of the necklace, which is probably less...

Sorry. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">