• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing somebody for unpaid loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ethio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

In August 2011, we lent $3000 who was in a difficult financial situation. The money was supposed to be paid back within a few months. To this day, the person made no effort to pay back the money. We have no written agreement except a copy of the check that was made out to this person. I started sending e-mails asking the person to payback the money. The person acknowledged via e-mail that money is owed and she would pay us back to the last penny. The intent of writing the e-mail was to keep a written record about the loan. I even intentionally noted the amount owed. I also got involved a close friend of the person to help us get our money back. I exhausted all my options and considering a legal action to get my money back. I understand that I can go to a small claims court. My question is: we and the person who borrowed the money live in different States. I wonder if we could file the Small claims in our home State even though the loan was made to a person in a different State.

Last edited:

Antigone*

In August 2011, we lent $3000 who was in a difficult financial situation. The money was supposed to be paid back within a few months. To this day, the person made no effort to pay back the money. We have no written agreement except a copy of the check that was made out to this person. I started sending e-mails asking the person to payback the money. The person acknowledged via e-mail that money is owed and she would pay us back to the last penny. The intent of writing the e-mail was to keep a written record about the loan. I even intentionally noted the amount owed. I also got involved a close friend of the person to help us get our money back. I exhausted all my options and considering a legal action to get my money back. I understand that I can go to a small claims court. My question is: we and the person who borrowed the money live in different States. I wonder if we could file the Small claims in our home State even though the loan was made to a person in a different State.

US Law only

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Where was the money loaned? How was it loaned? What is the other state?

ethio

Where was the money loaned? How was it loaned? What is the other state?
Thank you for the reply. The money was loaned to a friend who lives in Minnesota but we live in Ohio. The loan was made through our bank where a check in the amount of $3000 was mailed to a Minnesota address. Please note the load was using the Bank's Billpay feature; hence, no personal check was written.

swalsh411

Your position is weakened seeing as how you appear to have failed to come to an agreement on repayment terms.

I don't see how an OH court would have jurisdiction here. You would need to travel to MN, and your travel expenses would not be recoverable. In addition, you would then need to enforce the judgement. Is this person currently working?

ethio

Your position is weakened seeing as how you appear to have failed to come to an agreement on repayment terms.

I don't see how an OH court would have jurisdiction here. You would need to travel to MN, and your travel expenses would not be recoverable. In addition, you would then need to enforce the judgement. Is this person currently working?
This was a personal load and as all personal loans it was made on good faith. Initial repayment agreement was made verbally until I started sending e-mails to get the person acknowledge the loan. The person has a full time job. Probably my position is weakened due to the fact that the loan was made to a State other than my home State.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you for the reply. The money was loaned to a friend who lives in Minnesota but we live in Ohio. The loan was made through our bank where a check in the amount of $3000 was mailed to a Minnesota address. Please note the load was using the Bank's Billpay feature; hence, no personal check was written.
You get to sue in Minnesota in small claims court. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">