• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suing someone in another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

magazinewriter

Suing someone in CA if I'm in PA?

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I'm an author who wrote a book for a publisher in CA. My advance was due in Feb. My book is already in stores, but I still haven't been paid. The amount is small enough to be handled in small claims court. However, my local court said they couldn't be of much help, because even if I won my case, they can't enforce a judgement in another state.

Can I file suit in CA without actually going there? The publisher is in Los Angeles, and I have a friend in that area who can go and file the papers for me, if that helps.

Thanks!

Last edited:

JETX

"Can I file suit in CA without actually going there?"
*** You can file the lawsuit, but if it gets to trial, you will have to appear to make your case.

"The publisher is in Los Angeles, and I have a friend in that area who can go and file the papers for me, if that helps."
*** See above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">