• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suit against LLC in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stv

Hi there, I'm considering a suit against an LLC for failure to pay for services rendered. A few questions:

1. Apart from the monies owed and interest, can I seek additional damages for my pursuit costs, e.g. filing and preparation expenses, lost revenue for court appearance, possible collection fees, etc.?

2. Assuming I receive a judgment in my favor, what happens if the defendant folds the company?

3. I'm pursuing this approach because the debtor has been unresponsive. Are there other avenues to consider?

Thanks in advance.

JETX

Apart from the monies owed and interest, can I seek additional damages for my pursuit costs, e.g. filing and preparation expenses, lost revenue for court appearance, possible collection fees, etc.?
If you 'win', you will automatically get filing fees and court costs added to the judgment. The other 'expenses' you describe are NOT recoverable.

Assuming I receive a judgment in my favor, what happens if the defendant folds the company?
Then you get in line with the rest of the creditors.

I'm pursuing this approach because the debtor has been unresponsive. Are there other avenues to consider?
Yep. Including:
1) Contacting them and
2) 'Cousin Vito'.

HomeGuru

Hi there, I'm considering a suit against an LLC for failure to pay for services rendered. A few questions:

1. Apart from the monies owed and interest, can I seek additional damages for my pursuit costs, e.g. filing and preparation expenses, lost revenue for court appearance, possible collection fees, etc.?

2. Assuming I receive a judgment in my favor, what happens if the defendant folds the company?

3. I'm pursuing this approach because the debtor has been unresponsive. Are there other avenues to consider?

Thanks in advance.
**A: how much $$$ are we talking about?

stv

Thanks for your responses, and so quickly at that.
Yep. Including:
1) Contacting them and
2) 'Cousin Vito'.
I was thinking more along the lines of the BBB, or the local Chamber of Commerce, but I have no idea how effective these are.

Re: Cousin Vito, I believe in the proverbial carrot and stick, and want to know how big a stick I can shake before it's harassment. For example, in addition to threatening to contacting licensing and credentialing boards and what not, I'm sure there are other people who would be interested in learning he's derelict in his debts, like his office building's management company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">