• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

summons from previous employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jmills907

What is the name of your state? Alaska

I used to work for a car wash for a year and a half and my employer was a very greedy person who would find every reason to deduct things from me and my co-workers check, be it a broken anntenna from a car or one of the brushes scrathes the paint. Anyways one day last january, i was pulling in to work when my car slid on the glare ice of his parking lot into the side of his car wash (by the way, would that be considered unsafe parking conditions?) and made a small hole in the siding. My boss told me it was ok and he would just take the amount of damage out of my paychecks, week after week he would take out about 100 dollars until he took out 640 and said that would cover it. About 6 months later, the hole is still not fixed and i quit because he had dropped my pay rate down without consenting me and i went to the labor department for that and they said the money he took out for the car crash is illegal deductions so i got that money back. About a week later i get a summons form him saying i owe him 3,400 dollars for damages and i have to go to court(and the hole in the wall is still not fixed)

Question 1: Would this be considered retaliation for me taking him to the labor department?
Question 2: the company that did the estimates for the damage is a inspection company that he owns (thats why it is so much), will that be considered in court?
Question 3:He has witnesses say that they witnessed the crash and claimed that i said i did not have a drivers license(wich is tottaly untrue, i have had my license since i was 16), I think that my boss just made them say that. How could i point that out?

Any Advice would be greatful because i am a college student and i cannot afford to pay that kind of money.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

JETX

by the way, would that be considered unsafe parking conditions?
No.

Would this be considered retaliation for me taking him to the labor department?
No.

the company that did the estimates for the damage is a inspection company that he owns (thats why it is so much), will that be considered in court?
Only if you raise it up in challenging their estimate.

He has witnesses say that they witnessed the crash and claimed that i said i did not have a drivers license(wich is tottaly untrue, i have had my license since i was 16), I think that my boss just made them say that. How could i point that out?
Why?? It isn't relevant to the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">