• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supoena For Signed Statement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alanryder

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK. I just wanted to know if a person signing a notarized statement in support of the defendants claim, can be supoenaed by the plaintiff to appear in court. This would not be an expert witness. Also do signed statements have to notarized to be considered valid?

stephenk

yes the person can be subpoenaed to court to testify about the statement they signed and anything else they may have knowledge about concerning the case.

No, a document does not need to be notarized to be valid. All notarization does is confirm that the person signing a document has shown proof that they are that person. It does not go toward the truth of the contents of the document.

A

Alanryder

Thanks for your reply. I negleted to mention that this was in reference to small claims court. I didn't realize, it still can be done there, as I had thought the procedures there were less formal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">