• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

supplier get my deposit than disappear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mayxtd

money paid...didn't get goods...pls help!

What is the name of your state? NY &CT

Pls help...
I just began a trade business. I'm in New York. Recently I got contact with a new supplier in Conneticut. He agreed to sell me a container material. According to agreement, I paid him 20% deposit before the material can ship out from a warehouse used by him in Chicago. I agree to pay the balance on the shipment date after I inspect the material at warehouse.

Our contract was signed on July 7 and I wired him $1,985(20% deposit) to his personal bank account the same day. He agreed to arrange loading of material on July 14. And I even bought the ticket to fly to Chicago.

But then,at first, he delayed the date by different excuses,(Before, he always contacted me by phone; when he started to find excuses, he only used email).

I called him many times from July 8 until now, left messages, and sent emails. There's no any reply. From July 14, I couldn't leave message on phone, just continuas ringing and nobody pick up; From July 15, All emails sent to him were returned for reasons of unknown user, he even cancelled his email!

I've sent him warning letter on July 18, but I'm not sure if he can receive them because maybe he uses the wrong address.

I believe I got cheated by him. I don't know what can I do to get back the deposit. The amount is too small, and attorneys said it is not worthy to get help from them.

Pls help me!

Last edited:

lwpat

"I believe I got cheated by him. I don't know what can I do to get back the deposit. The amount is too small, and attorneys said it is not worthy to get help from them."

Your assessment is correct. If you can find him you can sue in small claims. The problem is that when you win all you get is a judgement. Then you have to collect. It may cost a little more but always deal with reputable firms and check them out thru the BBB.

It is also a good idea to have an attorney review any contract that you sign. The cost is minimal compared to the problems that can be prevented.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">