• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sweetheart Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Helpneedadvice

What is the name of your state? MN

My ex fiance and I were together for 2 years. We were supposed to get married on March 11, 2005. My fiance left with no warning on January 21, 2005. My fiance left that day and moved to Texas only taken a few belongings some of which were mine. We commingled our money during the relationship and I paid the bills because he could not get a checking account and did not want the hassle of taking care of the bills anyway. There are credit card expenses that were charged for him with his intent of paying them back. We had bedroom and living room furniture that was fiananced under my name (another credit issue for him). The day he left he signed an agreement to pay half of our joint bills and to pay $200 a month until they were paid. He has not paid one dime and now says that he was under duress to sign the agreement and will not pay one dime towards it. He wants me to send him the bills and he will decide what is owed and what is not. He absolutely refuses to help pay the furniture off. He left me stuck with everything. The lease, the bills and all of our joint belongings. He took some clothes and some tools he said that is all he wanted. He contacted me 30 days after he left demanding his property. He left and moved to another state. He has stated many times that he had no intention of coming back to get his things but says that I am under obligation of law to send his property that he left.

A friend of his who says that she is a paralegal has offered to mediate for free to keep things out of court. Do I have a legal right to request a copy of her license to verify that she is a licensed paralegal in good standing?

Do I have to send his property?
Do I have a right to hold up to the original agreement? He states he was under duress when he signed it.

Does he have to pay for half of the furniture payments? He left me no choice but to keep them.

I also co-signed a student loan for him. He left less than 60 days after the loan was signed. Is that fraud?

I

itsacatsworld

A paralegal isnt a lawyer, Id ask a lawyer about that and what recourses you have. Id give him didly squat on the personal belongings till he coughs up some cash.

JETX

Helpneedadvice said:
My ex fiance and I were together for 2 years. We were supposed to get married on March 11, 2005. My fiance left with no warning on January 21, 2005. My fiance left that day and moved to Texas only taken a few belongings some of which were mine. We commingled our money during the relationship and I paid the bills because he could not get a checking account and did not want the hassle of taking care of the bills anyway.
They say that love is blind.... but there is no reason for it to be stupid too. :D
Your own post says you have co-mingled your funds/assets. There is no way now that someone else can even try to come in and 'undo' the mess you allowed to be created. So, with that:

There are credit card expenses that were charged for him with his intent of paying them back.
How are you going to PROVE that he promised to pay??

We had bedroom and living room furniture that was fiananced under my name (another credit issue for him).
Okay.

The day he left he signed an agreement to pay half of our joint bills and to pay $200 a month until they were paid. He has not paid one dime and now says that he was under duress to sign the agreement and will not pay one dime towards it.
I just love it when someone tries to claim duress. Is he claiming you held a gun to his head?? Is he claiming you held his arm behind his back until he signed?? Is he claiming you held your breath???
What is the 'duress' is he claiming?? :D
Here is 'duress' by law:
[/i]duress
n. the use of force, false imprisonment or threats (and possibly psychological torture or "brainwashing") to compel someone to act contrary to his/her wishes or interests. If duress is used to get someone to sign an agreement or execute a will, a court may find the document null and void.[/i]

He wants me to send him the bills and he will decide what is owed and what is not.
So, send them to him. Include a copy of his signed 'admission'. Keep copies of ALL correspondence. At this point, be glad if he pays anything. And in the extremely unlikely chance that he agrees to pay anything, make sure it doesn't waive his previous agreement.

He absolutely refuses to help pay the furniture off.
Assuming you have the furniture, he has no obligation to help you pay YOUR bill.

He left me stuck with everything. The lease, the bills and all of our joint belongings.
Sounds like you came out better than him taking everything. Be glad you got what you did.

He took some clothes and some tools he said that is all he wanted. He contacted me 30 days after he left demanding his property. He left and moved to another state. He has stated many times that he had no intention of coming back to get his things but says that I am under obligation of law to send his property that he left.
And of course, you have no obligation to do so. However, you could send him a very nice letter (again, certified RRR) telling him that unless he takes steps to recover his property within 10 days (??), it will be deemed abandoned and subject to $25.00 per day 'storage fees'. After 30 days, it will be sold or disposed with the proceeds being applied to the storage fees. He should love that!! :D

A friend of his who says that she is a paralegal has offered to mediate for free to keep things out of court. Do I have a legal right to request a copy of her license to verify that she is a licensed paralegal in good standing?
Tell his 'friend' to stick it!! You have NO obligation to him/her for anything.

Do I have to send his property?
See above.

Do I have a right to hold up to the original agreement? He states he was under duress when he signed it.
See above.

Does he have to pay for half of the furniture payments? He left me no choice but to keep them.
No.

I also co-signed a student loan for him. He left less than 60 days after the loan was signed. Is that fraud?
Stupidity, yes. Fraud, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">