• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taken Advantage Of

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ffleming

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

My Father In Law and I made a verbal agreement that he would by my 1997 Sebring. We made this arrangement in March of 2006, however he did not have all the money at the time. He was to pay me in installments, durning the time that he was making the payments he was driving the car. and while he was driving the car he paid me for the insurance. It is now Oct. he has not given me the insurance money for sept, and no payment towards the car since April. The last time I spoke to my father in law the car was in the shop and at this point I do not know where to find the car or my father in law.
What can I do?

JETX

at this point I do not know where to find the car or my father in law.
What can I do?
Until you find the car (if still in your name) or your father-in-law... pretty much nothing.

If you can find the car AND if it is still in your name, simply put the key in and drive away.
If you can find your father-in-law, you can file a lawsuit against him.

ffleming

I Found My Father-In-Law

I found him now he told me that the car broke down and he put it in the shop how ever he did not pay for it and the owner of the shop is threating to charge storage fees. My question is any work that this person did on the car am I responsible for it.

JETX

am I responsible for it.
No, you are not responsible for paying for the work that he is having done... HOWEVER, the question really becomes... do you want the vehicle back or not.
If you want it back, you will have to pay the mechanic, then consider suing the father-in-law for your damages (the amounts you pay on his behalf, plus any unmade payments).
If you don't want it back, then you can let the vehicle go... and sue him for the value of the vehicle (after he were to pay for the repairs).
The real issue here is... could you collect if you were to get a judgment against him? From your post, that sounds unlikely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">