• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking Me To Small Claims For Vandalism W/o Proof?!?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b_waggles

What is the name of your state? WA

Okay. 2 weeks ago there I had 4 people over at my apartment for a brief amount of time...about 20 minutes to be exact. Somehow a soda can was supposedly thrown at a new car that was in the neighboring parking lot and caused damage of about 1700.00. The only way that the can was told to be mine was because of a girl that was in my house...she was a neighbor of mine, told the victim that it was my can and that I had to be the one who supposedly did it! The police came and took the report, and there were NO WITNESSES or anything, so they coudltn arrest me! All they know is that it is my can, and they they THINK that it did the damage and now they are taking me to small claims court and trying to sue me saying that since it was my can at one time, they said I AM RESPONSIBLE? Can they even use that to convict me? I have witnesses that I didnt do this... Yes, it was my can, but am I responsible for the damage?

Please reply asap! Thanks!

hbreen

Don't watch Judge Judy much, do you? If the plaintiff has a witness (from your apartment none the less) that says the can came from you, and YOU are even saying the can was yours, what defense do you think you have? Yes, they can sue you, better talk to the other "friends" you had there and see if anyone will go to court with you and vouch that the can didn't come from your apartment! And no, statements from them probably won't cut it - they need to be there with you.

S

seniorjudge

b_waggles said:

Okay. 2 weeks ago there I had 4 people over at my apartment for a brief amount of time...about 20 minutes to be exact. Somehow a soda can was supposedly thrown at a new car that was in the neighboring parking lot and caused damage of about 1700.00. The only way that the can was told to be mine was because of a girl that was in my house...she was a neighbor of mine, told the victim that it was my can and that I had to be the one who supposedly did it! The police came and took the report, and there were NO WITNESSES or anything, so they coudltn arrest me! All they know is that it is my can, and they they THINK that it did the damage and now they are taking me to small claims court and trying to sue me saying that since it was my can at one time, they said I AM RESPONSIBLE? Can they even use that to convict me? I have witnesses that I didnt do this... Yes, it was my can, but am I responsible for the damage?

Q: am I responsible for the damage?

A: If they can prove that you caused the damage in court, then the answer is yes.

S

seniorjudge

b_waggles said:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=238439

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=233303

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=238691

Triple post

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">