• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tattoo on a Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thigdon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My daughter, age 17 just came home with a HUGE tattoo on her arm. She got it at a tattoo shop.
Said they did not ask her for ID, when I asked how she got it without a parents’ consent.
Do I have any legal recourse.
I am so furious I am ready to go to the shop and tear the place apart!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My daughter, age 17 just came home with a HUGE tattoo on her arm. She got it at a tattoo shop.
Said they did not ask her for ID, when I asked how she got it without a parents’ consent.
Do I have any legal recourse.
I am so furious I am ready to go to the shop and tear the place apart!!
What happened when you called the police?
What happened when you contacted the city?

Zigner

I have not call the police or city as of yet. Is that what I should do?
It's a good place to start. The police for the (possible) battery that was committed. The city for the (possible) code violations that occurred...

thigdon

Can I sue them for the cost to have it removed?
It is not a small tattoo; it is not even artistically creative.
It is a large black cross filled in straight lines.
It is on her upper inside of her arm.
She will have to wear mid length sleeves for any kind of decent job.
I do not know what she was thinking.

Last edited:

enjay

How close to 18 is she? It doesn't matter legally now, but once she turns 18 she can refuse to have it removed even if "they" have to pay for it.

Just Blue

Can I sue them for the cost to have it removed?
It is not a small tattoo; it is not even artistically creative.
It is a large black cross filled in straight lines.
It is on her upper inside of her arm.
She will have to wear mid length sleeves for any kind of decent job.
I do not know what she was thinking.
Please be aware that the shop will most likely have evidence (video and copy of I.D.) that your child purported herself to be "legal".

It IS possible that your child is lying. Consider it.;)

thigdon

She will not be 18 until November.
She starts college in the fall.
I just hate to see her with something she will regret the rest of her life, because of a stupid decision.

swalsh411

Have you considered the possibility that another kid did it? That would explain the poor quality. What proof do you have that a tattoo parlor did it? Your daughter's word alone is highly questionable since at the very least she already lied about her age and possibility possessed a fake ID.

thigdon

I just spoke with her and she assures me that they have never asked her for an ID or her age. She knows that I am in the process of filling a report with the police and all will be revealed. So she came clean and told me about the 2 other tattoos from the same shop.

I am ready to go down there and rip someone appart!!

Last edited:

Just Blue

I just spoke with her and she assures me that they have never asked her for an ID. And now I find out she has 2 others from the same shop.

I would suggest that you contact the establishment and ask their view on what happened.

CourtClerk

I just spoke with her and she assures me that they have never asked her for an ID. And now I find out she has 2 others from the same shop.

Rip someone apart for what? Because you can't control your daughter?????? Isn't is ULTIMATELY your daughter's decision to have someone mutilate HER body? I'm by no means excusing the tattoo parlor, and yes, you should file a complaint with whatever authority supervises tattoo shops, but your issue is with YOUR CHILD, not the tattoo place.

How about putting the aggressions where they really belong?

Zigner

Rip someone apart for what? Because you can't control your daughter?????? Isn't is ULTIMATELY your daughter's decision to have someone mutilate HER body? I'm by no means excusing the tattoo parlor, and yes, you should file a complaint with whatever authority supervises tattoo shops, but your issue is with YOUR CHILD, not the tattoo place.

How about putting the aggressions where they really belong?
Agreed - I mean, we're talking about a "child" who is closer to 18 than 17 anyway...it's not like it's a "little girl"

thigdon

You're right, it was my daughters’ mistake and believe me she is getting brunt of my anger.
But I do feel that it is the obligation of the business owner to abide by the law and just like you cannot sell cigarettes to a minor, neither can you tattoo a minor without parental consent.
You may feel my anger is misplaced, but as a mother, and a former teenager who made stupid decisions, I assure you there is enough to spread around.

CourtClerk

You're right, it was my daughters’ mistake and believe me she is getting brunt of my anger.
This wasn't a mistake. This was an on purpose... at least 3 times. Your "child" is darn near an adult. Let it alone. It won't be the first time she'll piss you off or she'll do something you don't agree with. In fact, this probably wasn't the first time if she's bold enough to come in the house with now 3 tattoos...

It won't be the last.

And not everyone is regretful about getting inked. I personally don't care for them, but I know more than a few people who got them young... and still like them. It's for some people. It's not for others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">