• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tell friend they can keep your money, then change your mind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sduves

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
I wrote a $300 check to a friend to help me get some concert tickets (we verbally agreed that if she doesn't get the tickets she'd give the money back), she tried really hard to get them. She spent a lot of time but ultimately the tickets were sold out. I felt bad she spent so much time so I emailed her telling her she can deposit my check. I was thinking that in case anything comes up in the future we could use this toward future tickets, although I forgot to say this in the email (I guess because I trusted a reasonable person to know I wasn't just letting her keep the money for "free") so that it just seems like I want her to keep the money for no reason. We went to the same school and I knew she was trustworthy, although I didn't know her that well, but she was like the only one I knew that had access to this concert venue and had enough time to try to get them.

Then a few days later I decided it wasn't a good idea to tell her to cash my check because I had some last minute bills to pay off. I felt bad about changing my mind but I told her after she had already cashed the check that I needed the money for some bills, and she said she'd return it but she hasn't yet. She said she thought I told her she could keep it, and she already used the money. Am I allowed to claim it back legally if she doesn't return it?

Because the last documented communication is an email I wrote her giving her permission to cash my check (which was stupid, I know), so she did, and I don't have proof of any of our agreements which were all done verbally. But the "services" that money was for was not ever received - i.e., getting the tickets. And I didn't ask for my money back until she had already cashed the check.

Last edited:

sduves

i take it to mean no then? lol
but she has my check, it says for concert tickets on there, and i never got them and she can't prove i got the tickets. so if i sue her doesnt she have to prove she gave me the tickets otherwise i get my money back?

Just Blue

i take it to mean no then? lol
but she has my check, it says for concert tickets on there, and i never got them and she can't prove i got the tickets. so if i sue her doesnt she have to prove she gave me the tickets otherwise i get my money back?
However she CAN prove that you told her to go ahead and keep the money. ;)

njjean

How exactly did you word the e-mail? Did you tell her she could "deposit" your check or "keep the money"?

sduves

I told her she can deposit the check AND keep the money :(
i don't really know why i did it, i half felt bad she'd gone through so much trouble, i was hoping if i told her to keep the money she would decline. but i didn't mean for her to actually keep it, i was thinking she'd have the common sense to know that they were to be used for concert tickets in the future in case she came across them again. but she says she didnt check her email for a while and she already used the money, she said she thought i said she could keep it.

Last edited:

njjean

I told her she can deposit the check AND keep the money :(
i don't really know why i did it, i half felt bad she'd gone through so much trouble, i was hoping if i told her to keep the money she would decline. but i didn't mean for her to actually keep it, i was thinking she'd have the common sense to know that they were to be used for concert tickets in the future in case she came across them again. but she says she didnt check her email for a while and she already used the money, she said she thought i said she could keep it.
You had better say goodbye to the cash. Live and learn. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">