• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant/Landlord - Who do I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brekehan

Austin, TX

I've got a case I would like to put before small claims court. It is your run of the mill Apartment Complex refusing to refund security deposit, overpayment of rent, and retaliating by claims of thousands of dollars they want to turn over to collections. I've got binders full of evidence, recorded phone calls, discrepancies in their accounting, etc.

I've read quite a bit and prepared even more. The hardest part of this suit seems to be finding out who's name to actually put on the form to file the suit in small claims court. When I look online I am getting varied information.

Do I sue the apartment manager I dealt with? Do I need to subpoena her? If so, how do I find her address? or serve at place of business?
Do I sue the company that runs the apartments? If so, how do I find out who that is?
Do I sue the land owner? If so, how do I find out who that is?

So far, I've looked at the Travis County Tax Assessor's website and the Security of State of Texas website. I ended up paying some money for searches, but could not find any entity that was a person and address.

Do I subpoena my own witnesses if they want to come voluntarily?
Are there any filing rules, evidence rules I should be aware of?
I hate to get this thrown out due to some trivial rule, but no lawyer wants to take this case, because its small money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Austin, TX

I've got a case I would like to put before small claims court. It is your run of the mill Apartment Complex refusing to refund security deposit, overpayment of rent, and retaliating by claims of thousands of dollars they want to turn over to collections. I've got binders full of evidence, recorded phone calls, discrepancies in their accounting, etc.

I've read quite a bit and prepared even more. The hardest part of this suit seems to be finding out who's name to actually put on the form to file the suit in small claims court. When I look online I am getting varied information.

Do I sue the apartment manager I dealt with? Do I need to subpoena her? If so, how do I find her address? or serve at place of business?
Do I sue the company that runs the apartments? If so, how do I find out who that is?
Do I sue the land owner? If so, how do I find out who that is?

So far, I've looked at the Travis County Tax Assessor's website and the Security of State of Texas website. I ended up paying some money for searches, but could not find any entity that was a person and address.

Do I subpoena my own witnesses if they want to come voluntarily?
Are there any filing rules, evidence rules I should be aware of?
I hate to get this thrown out due to some trivial rule, but no lawyer wants to take this case, because its small money.
What does your lease say on the matter?

brekehan

The lease does not list an owning entity or management company. It simply says "The Verandah at Grandview Hills" (Apartment name)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">