• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

terminating a written agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monkchip

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

Roommate, who is not on lease but has had mail sent, moves out 2 days before the end of the month without any prior notice.

Myself, whom is also not on the lease but already lives here, moves into the new open room.

(note: no one ho lives here is on the lease, we are all subleasing)
So...
Roommate determined to regain security deposit, proceeds to find someone to take over room. Now since, I chose to take over, I am confronted with the issue of having to find someone myself to take over my previous room in 2 days!

Next thing I knew I allowed myself to sign/agree to some bull**** written agreement that would return the security deposit once I found a replacement for my previous room. There was a witness as well.

2 days!

As it turned out, I found myself paying full rent for two rooms. I wasn't able to find a replacement, until past mid month. I am wondering what legal right I have to make up for my loss. Breach Agreement, or give half security deposit?

what about 30 day notice?

Is there any stand I have against this signed agreement when neither of us where on the lease?

I'm a firm believer in written contracts, I'd like to stay true to them, with respect toward the other party that they will stay true to their words as well. Is this a case worth fighting for?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

Roommate, who is not on lease but has had mail sent, moves out 2 days before the end of the month without any prior notice.

Myself, whom is also not on the lease but already lives here, moves into the new open room.

(note: no one ho lives here is on the lease, we are all subleasing)
So...
Roommate determined to regain security deposit, proceeds to find someone to take over room. Now since, I chose to take over, I am confronted with the issue of having to find someone myself to take over my previous room in 2 days!

Next thing I knew I allowed myself to sign/agree to some bull**** written agreement that would return the security deposit once I found a replacement for my previous room. There was a witness as well.

2 days!

As it turned out, I found myself paying full rent for two rooms. I wasn't able to find a replacement, until past mid month. I am wondering what legal right I have to make up for my loss. Breach Agreement, or give half security deposit?

what about 30 day notice?

Is there any stand I have against this signed agreement when neither of us where on the lease?

I'm a firm believer in written contracts, I'd like to stay true to them, with respect toward the other party that they will stay true to their words as well. Is this a case worth fighting for?
Ok, so the former roommate/tenant needed to find a person to take over HIS room. Viola! That person is YOU. Now, YOU need to find someone to take over YOUR old room.
Now, you have an agreement to return HIS security deposit to him when a new roommate is found. Well, you found a new roommate. Time to return his deposit!

It's really quite clear. You made an agreement and now you want to weasel out of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">