• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by Deception?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlp17603

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I sold a dog to a friend of mine. She stopped payment on the check she gave me. However - - - - She asked me on June 3rd to hold the check until June 6th. I found out from her bank that on the same day she asked me to hold the check (June 3rd), she called the bank and put the stop payment on the check.

Could this be considered theft by deception, since she knew the method of payment she was using would not be good or honorable?

Thanks for the input!

mlp17603

She told me she had lost one checkbook, and had two checkbooks going at the same time and she canceled the one book of checks and that happened to be the book that she had written my check from. I know this is not the truth because I found out from her bank that she called the branch directly and cancelled just that check # (the check that she had given me as payment for the dog) on June 3rd.

I sent my friend, well former friend now, a certified letter requesting payment in full, and she wrote back to me that the letter meant nothing to her and she wasnt going to do anything about it. A friend of mine told me I might have a case for Theft by Deception, and I looked the definition up online, and it sounds like it to me, but I'm not a lawyer and I wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks so much!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">