• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft by family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tomziii

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hi all,
Basically, i have a good friend ive known for a few years, she was staying at her sisters place. whilst she was at work, the TV my friend owns just magically disappeared. Her sister blames it on my friend ( who was in work at the time) and said she's going to call the cops because my friend had someone in the house that she didn't know ( i repeat my friend was in work at the time and wanted to call the cops herself as it was her TV that had gone). Later that day her sister got her arrested over something to do with my friends D.L. Now when my friend went back to her sister's house to get her belongings, her ipad, nook and various other items had also disappeared. ( I had bought a few things for her that had been stolen which amount to more than $500.

My friend did call the cops and the cop basically said you'll have to take your sister to court. i have all receipts and invoices for all the items i have bought her. im not very clued up on American law as i live in the U.K, but if needs be i will take her sister to court, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hi all,
Basically, i have a good friend ive known for a few years, she was staying at her sisters place. whilst she was at work, the TV my friend owns just magically disappeared. Her sister blames it on my friend ( who was in work at the time) and said she's going to call the cops because my friend had someone in the house that she didn't know ( i repeat my friend was in work at the time and wanted to call the cops herself as it was her TV that had gone). Later that day her sister got her arrested over something to do with my friends D.L. Now when my friend went back to her sister's house to get her belongings, her ipad, nook and various other items had also disappeared. ( I had bought a few things for her that had been stolen which amount to more than $500.

My friend did call the cops and the cop basically said you'll have to take your sister to court. i have all receipts and invoices for all the items i have bought her. im not very clued up on American law as i live in the U.K, but if needs be i will take her sister to court, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Your friend should post for his/herself if s/he so wishes.

Userunknown2015

From what I read you won't take anyone to court as you aren't a party. The property doesn't belong to you.

If your friend choices she can file the matter in small court in her jurisdiction and you can provide copy of recipes as supporting documentation to the value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
From what I read you won't take anyone to court as you aren't a party. The property doesn't belong to you.

If your friend choices she can file the matter in small court in her jurisdiction and you can provide copy of recipes as supporting documentation to the value.
The reason it's preferred that the involved party is the one posting is because inevitably, third--parties lack relevant information, thus making it difficult, if not impossible, to provide pertinent information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Userunknown2015

If you read the op's post you see s/he says "i will take her sister to court".

Right wrong or indifferent just telling them they are a 3rd party can't help you isn't useful. As the OP is from the UK my post explains the reasons why s/he is a third party, that s/he can't sue and what the friend can do going forward if they so choice to.

It's polite and does not muddy anything.

It would be great if users step back and say "hey if I was this person and I'm reaching out to people how would I want to be treated".

If we use your logic no one should be posting ever because all you will ever get is one side of the story.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">