• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theiving ungratefull houseguest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynn195301

Iowa
:mad:My son who is 17 invited a classmate to spend a night at our house. He claimed to be having family problems and to make a long story short he ended up spending a month "eating us out of house and home" my problem is he used my sons phone to make calls during peak times that caused us to have a $ 405.00 phone bill "$250.00 was easily identified as calls he made he had no permission to use the phone by my son Or by me or my wife who own the phone. My question is can I take steps to recover this as I am calling it theft of services the individual is an adult and my son a minor also he borrowed $500 from my son to put down on a motorcycle then retrieved the money from the dealer and spent it we accumitlively are out probably $900- 1000 for this and meals I was wondering If there was any chance of recovery.

Last edited:

BL

You allowed you son's Friend ( an adult ) to stay .

You voluntarily fed , etc. the Friend .

The cell phone was your son's responsibility .

Teach your son a lesson , and make your son pay you back .

jdawg83

IMHO anyone that cares for their friend enough to let them stay at their parents house and eat and sleep there, wouldn't turn down their friend using a cell phone. Probably after you came down on him for the phone bill he told you "i never told him he could use my phone mom/dad". Its funny that your son invited someone to stay at YOUR house and eat YOUR food, I hope YOUR son was paying SOME bills. Now your mad at his friend, its classic

Take it out of your son's allowance, or make your son pay you back, other than that call it a day

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">