• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wowboy

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Im new here, came across the site today while searching for advice on what exactly I can do about all the crud that has been going on...

Im in the Air Force and part of what we are encouraged to do is volunteer to participate in the community. I volunteered to participate in a fund raiser this morning in downtown Oklahoma City. I pulled up next to where I was going at a parking lot. The fee for parking was $6, not unreasonable at all. I pulled in and parked. I went to the little building at the gate to pay, and there was no attendant. There was, however, a box with a slot numbered for each of the parking spots. All I had on me was a 10 dollar bill, so I went on to where I was working (a concession stand at a baseball stadium across the street) to get some change. I assumed (incorrectly) that even if the attendant returned and saw I hadn't paid, he would merely attach something to my car advising me to pay or be fined, as every other parking garage or lot does. About 20 minutes later, I returned with change to pay the parking fee, and my truck was GONE. In a span of 20 minutes, my truck had been towed! And STILL no attendant, so I have no way of knowing what happened! Around lunchtime, I returned to the lot to see if an attendant had arrived, and sure enough, one had. I asked what had happened and he seemed pretty ignorant of everything. He did show me a stack of paperwork with tickets for all the vehicles that had been towed. Of course, my truck was on top. I called the towing company and it cost me $120 to get my truck back!

The whole deal just seems REALLY shady... as though I fell in some kind of trap. How in the heck does my car get towed in a span of 20 minutes? And what is weird, whoever was working the lot but wasn't around when I was there, did indeed attach a ticket to my truck advising me to pay or be fined! When I got to the towing place, it looked like an auto prison. The fence was white painted brick with barbed wire at the top, as soon as me and my friend pulled in, a voice over a loudspeaker started barking orders at us to go to the office, then a MASSIVE redneck looking guy started running at us telling us to get our @$$e$ to the office as we were looking for someplace to park. He directed us to a spot right next a vicious dog on a chain that we had to pretty much dodge to get inside.

Wow, now that I typed all this out, it all sounds so surreal... but it happened to me today! I only make $800 per month in the military, $120 is a MAJOR hardship on me and is likely going to screw me for the rest of the summer since most of my money goes to bills accrued during my "stupid" years.

Do I have any recourse?

H

hexeliebe

depending on where you are stationed

you should have a legal services office on base. That's where you need to get to immediately.

It sounds like the lot was one where the employee had several lots to check and was making his rounds just as you parked and left to find change.

You should have been given enough time to return but 20 minutes is a long time so legal services probably won't be able to help.

Still, it's worth a shot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">