• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lesliemisaacs

I am in Kentucky, but the issue took place in Washington.

I was working as a nanny for a very unstable and abusive single father in Washington state. When I told him I was unhappy with the situation and wanted to leave, he was rude and made me incredibly uncomfortable. In the interest of his daughters, we agreed, however, that I would stay on for another two weeks to give him time to find another nanny. This was on a Friday. The next day, though, he asked me to leave immediately when I told him that the reason I was leaving is because I felt that he had tried to take our working relationship to another level, one that I was not comfortable with. In his email where he asked me to leave immediately, he stated that if I left quietly, he would pay me for the following week as well as give me money towards my travelling expenses. Earlier that morning he had given me a paycheck for the previous weeks services. Before I even got out of the state, he called his bank and placed a STOP PAYMENT on that paycheck so that I ended up not getting paid for the week that I had worked. He said he did that because he should not have had to pay me for the coming week, nor should he have had to give me money for travel. I didn't ask him for either; he offered them on his own.

Is there anything I can do about this? The amount was only $450, but I do not think he should have been allowed to stop payment on my check. Any other employer would not be allowed to do that would they?

I am now in KY but will fly to WA if I have to to settle the matter. Should I take him to small claims court or what? Please advise. Thanks very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">