• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is there anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amacbld

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I moved into my ex fiancee house when we first got engaged. He had lost his job and we are having a baby so I thought why not. Before I moved in I paid a 200dollar electric bill so it wouldn't get disconnected. I also cleaned the house emaculant so my kids and I wouldn't be living in filth. It was at the first of the month so all his bills were due. I paid half the rent(200) and then another 200 dollar electric bill. I lived there for one month. We moved my furniture and appliances in and sold his or what we could sale. His couch was trashed, he sold his washer and dryer for 80dollars and his stove is still sitting in his garage. He kicked me and my children out after a month and called off the wedding after we got into a argument that got vilolent and I got struck several times. I notified the cops, took pictures of my belongings and left. He allowed me back into the house to get my things but after I got all the beds and personal items loaded he started threatening me so I left. So my major items are still at his home and he refuses to let me take them. I have been back to the house on a few occasions but my belongings are bein destroyed by his animals. The couch and love seat was purchased in 07 new for 1500 dollars, the refrigerator was purchased in 07 used for 500 dollars, the washer and dryer was purchased in 08 new for 1000, the stove was purchased in 08 used for 200, the computer was purchased in 07 new for 600. these are the major items he is refusing to let me have back. He said he is keeping them for the money I owe on bills and to replace his items. Problem is I paid my portion of the bills when I was there yet he did not. My items were in better condition then his so he desided to sale or trash his. I still have the original receipts and purchase dates for all the items he is refusing to allow me to get. I also have pictures as to the condition of the items when I left the home. I was wondering if I would be able to sue for some of the money I put into the items that he still has? I don't really want the items themselves because they are now covered with feces and urine from his animals. And he hasn't exterminated his house in the months since I left and the roaches have returned. I don't want to bring any of that into my new house. Any one have any good advice?

Ryn22

Wouldn''t this possibly fall under personal property damage?

It is legally your property, you were not married to this prize and it is no longer in usuable (or sanitary) condition. (Kind of like if you loaned your buddy a car because his was a crappy old clunker and he then trashed you vehicle. He still has to pay you.) Hopefully you paid the rent and bills in something in your name that you can prove.

As far as his things, not one forced him to throw them out, if they were worth anything he could have placed them into storage or sold them. The things he did sell he has the money already.

I don't have personal experience in the area- but that would be my thought process.

Good luck.

Antigone*

Wouldn''t this possibly fall under personal property damage?

It is legally your property, you were not married to this prize and it is no longer in usuable (or sanitary) condition. (Kind of like if you loaned your buddy a car because his was a crappy old clunker and he then trashed you vehicle. He still has to pay you.) Hopefully you paid the rent and bills in something in your name that you can prove.

As far as his things, not one forced him to throw them out, if they were worth anything he could have placed them into storage or sold them. The things he did sell he has the money already.

I don't have personal experience in the area- but that would be my thought process.

Good luck.
This is a website where people come for LEGAL advice. Your warm and fuzzy pile of crap is just that.

You come here with no legal experience to speak of,and you insult a senior member - please don't troll our forum and post only if you have a vaid legal option to offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">