• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do in this situation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schroed74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IA

About nine months ago my boyfriend had asked me to move in with him. His house wasn't big enough for me and my two children to live comfortably, so he decided to put an addition on his house. When he went to get the loan he found out that needed collateral. I agreed to put the titles to two of my vehicles up for the 13,000 loan. We broke up 3 months ago and he has since been threatening me that he is going to stop payment on the loan so I lose my vehicles, valued at around 8,000. The addition was never completed and me and my children never moved in with him. I would like to know if I can sue him for the value of the vehicles if the financial company does in fact come and take them for non-payment of the loan. My name is nowhere on the loan.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IA

About nine months ago my boyfriend had asked me to move in with him. His house wasn't big enough for me and my two children to live comfortably, so he decided to put an addition on his house. When he went to get the loan he found out that needed collateral. I agreed to put the titles to two of my vehicles up for the 13,000 loan. We broke up 3 months ago and he has since been threatening me that he is going to stop payment on the loan so I lose my vehicles, valued at around 8,000. The addition was never completed and me and my children never moved in with him. I would like to know if I can sue him for the value of the vehicles if the financial company does in fact come and take them for non-payment of the loan. My name is nowhere on the loan.
My dear lady, your name has to be on those loan documents. Otherwise the lender could not treat your car titles as security for $13K loan. Not unless you endorsed the titles over to the jerk.

Now as to your question "Can I sue him if I loose my vehicles?"

The answer is that a practical answer can't be given without first reviewing all of the loan documents.

Which can only be done meaningfully by your attorney, as the laws that treat with this subject matter are multifaceted and very, very complex!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">