• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

are these grounds for a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrP93

My father was staying at a friends house for a few months. He slept on a sofa, and paid what he had, as soon as he got it. The 'friend' then threw him out after she blamed him for something he had nothing to do with and was on-going from long before they even met. Then a week or so later she came pounding on my door (he stays here now) claiming he owes her thousands in unpaid rent, and that she would add an extra thousand pounds each week until it was paid, and then take it to a small claims court. She was also physically abusive to him in public, and verbally abusive when asked to leave my property. There is no tenancy agreements or official contracts that he signed, and the only records of his 'debt' is what she has written down herself in a notebook. Are there any grounds to her claims, and if it did proceed to a hearing, would I be able to speak with my dad, (he was a recovering alcoholic, who has now relapsed due to the situation, and probably wouldn't be mentally or physically fit to go) or could i contest the claim on grounds of harassment or false claims, for example ?

quincy

My father was staying at a friends house for a few months. He slept on a sofa, and paid what he had, as soon as he got it. The 'friend' then threw him out after she blamed him for something he had nothing to do with and was on-going from long before they even met. Then a week or so later she came pounding on my door (he stays here now) claiming he owes her thousands in unpaid rent, and that she would add an extra thousand pounds each week until it was paid, and then take it to a small claims court. She was also physically abusive to him in public, and verbally abusive when asked to leave my property. There is no tenancy agreements or official contracts that he signed, and the only records of his 'debt' is what she has written down herself in a notebook. Are there any grounds to her claims, and if it did proceed to a hearing, would I be able to speak with my dad, (he was a recovering alcoholic, who has now relapsed due to the situation, and probably wouldn't be mentally or physically fit to go) or could i contest the claim on grounds of harassment or false claims, for example ?
What is the name of your state, MrP93?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state, MrP93?
I think OP is in the UK, given his talk of someone owing thousands of pounds, but then the ex-friend could be threatening to continue pounding on the door. :cool:
Then a week or so later she came pounding on my door (he stays here now) claiming he owes her thousands in unpaid rent, and that she would add an extra thousand pounds each week until it was paid

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">