• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They took my paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eagleacademy

What is the name of your state? MI
I have a situation with a former employer that have about 4 separate problems that he has presented me with. I'm going to address them all in separate
post.
First issue: Employer/contractor/truck owner (Five H Transport) hired me as a contract driver in May 2007 and I signed a contract with with Five H Transport. On Friday July 20th after taking a load from KY to New Orleans, La. My family was having a family reunion there that weekend. By computer submitted my status as out of service until July 25th the date I was to return. I toke the time to drive up to Mississippi to my daughters birthday party that weekend. Five H got upset and on the 23rd had a tow truck come and pick up the van and hold it for a few days until they sent a driver from Michigan to Mississippi to pick up the van and take it to Michigan. tow truck driver call that morning to arrange to get the van. I called Five H and they would not answer or return my calls. So I left message reminding them that I would bring the van to them myself as I'm scheduled to come back on 25th and recorded the message on tape. I also had tow truck driver they sent to sign form stating that I would not incur any of the cost the five H may incur to pick up the van and that I was willing to return the van to an agreeable location myself, and that all items belong to five H are accounted for inside the van. They are saying that I stated to them that I quit and thats why they had to come and get the van.
Five H has now sent me a letter stating that I owed them $1,919.00. $1,225.99 of that is being charged to me for recovery of the van at .77 per mile. They have taken $1,600 from me already which was the back money they owed me.
My first question is:
1.If they fired me which they are trying to say that I quit. Are they able to charge me for the
recovery of the van even though I have a statement in writing that was signed by the tow truck driver they sent for the van and a recorded message to his voice mail. stating I would bring the van at an agreeable location.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">