• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thomas Cook Holiday Complaint - "This is a big one"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolertech

Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi Everyone, just registered on here after finding it on google so sorry if any of what i'm about to write has been posted before :

OK here goes

In September 2009, me and my partner travelled to Mexico with Thomas Cook, we took a package deal and stayed at the Grand Sirenis on the riviera Maya which is a nice 5 star hotel, we paid just over £2500 (as we upgraded the seats to premium cabin)

Once we got to Manchester airport we where told at the checkin desk that our flight had been changed due to a bird striking the wing the night before and our aircraft wasnt going to be an airbus, it was going to be a small boeing so there was no premuim cabin, we was told by Thomas Cook and servisair not to worry as our premuim cabin cost would be refunded and said that it would be refunded for the return flight home too as they could not say if that would be the airbus or not so they just give a full premuim cabin refund.

After waiting in the departure area we was told that the flight would be delayed for 4 hours as the replacement aircraft had also broke and they where waiting for another one to come into land.

We noticed while we was waiting "lads" drinking and causing trouble with other passengers (they was clearly tanked up) but when we started to board the aircraft they let them on regardless.

About 3 hours into the flight the same lads who was drinking started a big fight with someone on the plane, the cabin crew rushed and ended up splitting them up, the captain came on the PA twice and said he was going to divert if things didnt improve.

Once we got to Mexico the lads where removed and arrested by police.

Finally got the Grand Sirenis about 6 hours later that we should.

Having stayed there the year before we knew what to expect as we had a fab time so thought we'd go a second time.

Our room as ok but didnt get the sea view we'd asked for but i'm not too worried about that, we spoke to the Thomas Cook rep the next day with regards to the problems on the flight and also just to check the premuim cabin details as we wasnt sure we could take extra Kg's back with them changing the aircraft etc, "He said clearly, that the word he's getting from head office in the UK is that they will be full refunding passengers for both directions even if the premium cabin is offered on the way back as a good will gesture for all the problems on the inbound flight.

As the holiday went on we couldnt but help noticed that only half the hotel was open, there was no main buffett at lunchtime we had to use the pool snackbar, the ice cream shop was closed and also the coffee shop in the afternoons (as the weather was a bit rainy on a few days so this would on been welcome)

On the second week of our stay there was building works ongoing in our hotel block, it wasnt just a bit of knocking and banging, they where doing full refits of rooms above us and the noise started at 8am and went on well until 6pm (not that we stayed in our rooms all day), the water kept going off and we couldnt have a full shower on some of the days or flush the loo, on one of the says we had completely no water, we'd been on the beach on that day and there was no clean water in all the complex, everyone was complaining (there was a hugh queue at the reception desk of people shouting and complaining)

They did NOTHING apart from laugh and offer us "extra" al la carte nights, we only had bottled water to drink and clean our teeth in, and this is a 5 Star Hotel!

We complained to our rep and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "what can i say they will loose guests"

On our return flight we did get the right aircraft this time and premuim cabin was given to us but as we'd been told we was getting it for free i was willing to let the hotel problems go given that the premium cabin cost £500 for the both of us Inbound and Outbound.

When we returned to the UK there was a cheque waiting for us for "guess what" only half the premium cabin £252.

We went into the Thomas Cook shop where we booked the holiday and told them of the problem, we went on to mention about the hotel problems and they told us not to pay the cheque in and to write a complaint in full about all the problems and to drop it off.

We did that the very same week (2nd of Oct 2009) and they sent it off on our behalf, they said that it would take 28 days to get a reply.

This came and went and we went back in to check if anything had been sent to the shop, nothing, we kept checking until Xmas and still hadn't received any kind of letter or even reply and it seemed like the shop was just fobbing us off.

We decided to get a little more firm and went back to the shop and asked for them to contact head office, they did that and head office said they hadn't received any letter and it might of been lost.

Feeling a little bit sick at this point we asked if the Thomas Cook shop could fax our complaint, the manager faxed it and gave us a letter saying that she'd re-faxed it etc and dated and signed it.

again we waited another month (28th of Feb 2010) to be exact and we finally got a reply from Thomas Cook head office saying that they where looking into our complaint, it wasnt' until the middle of March 2010 that we finally received a reponse.

The letter basically said that they wasn't going to give us any of the outbound premium cabin cost back as the rep who originally told us this no longer works at the resort, they also had been in contact with the hotel and that they would offer us "free upgrades" should we choose to stay there again (hang on wouldn't this mean spending another £2000 with Thomas Cook)

Thomas Cook refused to do anything about the Premium Cabin cost, they also said they was sorry about the flight problems with the delay and also the flighting but there was nothing they could do about that, they wasn't going to do anything about the hotel problems either.

Having received this reply i decided enough was enough and I got in contact with ABTA, I sent them copies of everything that I'd received and a covering letter etc, they sent me a reply back saying to write back to Thomas Cook once again stating that we wasn't happy and get "into Deadlock" with them.

I took this advice and wrote to Thomas Cook again and outlined that it wasn't my fault that the rep didnt work there anymore nor was it my fault about the complaint going so called missing, I also made it clear that Iwas outraged that they was not willing to do or offer anything to compensate my problems, I also stated that the cheque for the first half of the premium cabin had now expired as it is more that 6 months old now (dated Sept 2009)

I sent that just over a month ago and I've just received a reply back today.

Basically it says that they are not willing to accept none of our claims about the premium cabin and that none of the Thomas Cook staff would of told us about getting a refund for the outbound flight, they said that they are not willing to do anything about the hotel problems and we wa to "expect" some kind of maintenence as all hotels have some kind of work on going all year round but they keep it to a minimum during guests staying.

I would really like some good advice here guys, my next step i think is writing to ABTA again, but I would like to see if I can take things legally now.

I've already been tothe CAB and they have told me to contact ABTA.

I'm really not that bothered about the hotel problems, it was just the £500 premium cabin cost that I would like back really but I seem to be hitting a brick wall.

If anyone could help i would be very grateful.

Thanks

Peter

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This forum is for US Law Only - sorry.

Manchester, United Kingdom

Hi Everyone, just registered on here after finding it on google so sorry if any of what i'm about to write has been posted before :

OK here goes

In September 2009, me and my partner travelled to Mexico with Thomas Cook, we took a package deal and stayed at the Grand Sirenis on the riviera Maya which is a nice 5 star hotel, we paid just over £2500 (as we upgraded the seats to premium cabin)

Once we got to Manchester airport we where told at the checkin desk that our flight had been changed due to a bird striking the wing the night before and our aircraft wasnt going to be an airbus, it was going to be a small boeing so there was no premuim cabin, we was told by Thomas Cook and servisair not to worry as our premuim cabin cost would be refunded and said that it would be refunded for the return flight home too as they could not say if that would be the airbus or not so they just give a full premuim cabin refund.

After waiting in the departure area we was told that the flight would be delayed for 4 hours as the replacement aircraft had also broke and they where waiting for another one to come into land.

We noticed while we was waiting "lads" drinking and causing trouble with other passengers (they was clearly tanked up) but when we started to board the aircraft they let them on regardless.

About 3 hours into the flight the same lads who was drinking started a big fight with someone on the plane, the cabin crew rushed and ended up splitting them up, the captain came on the PA twice and said he was going to divert if things didnt improve.

Once we got to Mexico the lads where removed and arrested by police.

Finally got the Grand Sirenis about 6 hours later that we should.

Having stayed there the year before we knew what to expect as we had a fab time so thought we'd go a second time.

Our room as ok but didnt get the sea view we'd asked for but i'm not too worried about that, we spoke to the Thomas Cook rep the next day with regards to the problems on the flight and also just to check the premuim cabin details as we wasnt sure we could take extra Kg's back with them changing the aircraft etc, "He said clearly, that the word he's getting from head office in the UK is that they will be full refunding passengers for both directions even if the premium cabin is offered on the way back as a good will gesture for all the problems on the inbound flight.

As the holiday went on we couldnt but help noticed that only half the hotel was open, there was no main buffett at lunchtime we had to use the pool snackbar, the ice cream shop was closed and also the coffee shop in the afternoons (as the weather was a bit rainy on a few days so this would on been welcome)

On the second week of our stay there was building works ongoing in our hotel block, it wasnt just a bit of knocking and banging, they where doing full refits of rooms above us and the noise started at 8am and went on well until 6pm (not that we stayed in our rooms all day), the water kept going off and we couldnt have a full shower on some of the days or flush the loo, on one of the says we had completely no water, we'd been on the beach on that day and there was no clean water in all the complex, everyone was complaining (there was a hugh queue at the reception desk of people shouting and complaining)

They did NOTHING apart from laugh and offer us "extra" al la carte nights, we only had bottled water to drink and clean our teeth in, and this is a 5 Star Hotel!

We complained to our rep and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "what can i say they will loose guests"

On our return flight we did get the right aircraft this time and premuim cabin was given to us but as we'd been told we was getting it for free i was willing to let the hotel problems go given that the premium cabin cost £500 for the both of us Inbound and Outbound.

When we returned to the UK there was a cheque waiting for us for "guess what" only half the premium cabin £252.

We went into the Thomas Cook shop where we booked the holiday and told them of the problem, we went on to mention about the hotel problems and they told us not to pay the cheque in and to write a complaint in full about all the problems and to drop it off.

We did that the very same week (2nd of Oct 2009) and they sent it off on our behalf, they said that it would take 28 days to get a reply.

This came and went and we went back in to check if anything had been sent to the shop, nothing, we kept checking until Xmas and still hadn't received any kind of letter or even reply and it seemed like the shop was just fobbing us off.

We decided to get a little more firm and went back to the shop and asked for them to contact head office, they did that and head office said they hadn't received any letter and it might of been lost.

Feeling a little bit sick at this point we asked if the Thomas Cook shop could fax our complaint, the manager faxed it and gave us a letter saying that she'd re-faxed it etc and dated and signed it.

again we waited another month (28th of Feb 2010) to be exact and we finally got a reply from Thomas Cook head office saying that they where looking into our complaint, it wasnt' until the middle of March 2010 that we finally received a reponse.

The letter basically said that they wasn't going to give us any of the outbound premium cabin cost back as the rep who originally told us this no longer works at the resort, they also had been in contact with the hotel and that they would offer us "free upgrades" should we choose to stay there again (hang on wouldn't this mean spending another £2000 with Thomas Cook)

Thomas Cook refused to do anything about the Premium Cabin cost, they also said they was sorry about the flight problems with the delay and also the flighting but there was nothing they could do about that, they wasn't going to do anything about the hotel problems either.

Having received this reply i decided enough was enough and I got in contact with ABTA, I sent them copies of everything that I'd received and a covering letter etc, they sent me a reply back saying to write back to Thomas Cook once again stating that we wasn't happy and get "into Deadlock" with them.

I took this advice and wrote to Thomas Cook again and outlined that it wasn't my fault that the rep didnt work there anymore nor was it my fault about the complaint going so called missing, I also made it clear that Iwas outraged that they was not willing to do or offer anything to compensate my problems, I also stated that the cheque for the first half of the premium cabin had now expired as it is more that 6 months old now (dated Sept 2009)

I sent that just over a month ago and I've just received a reply back today.

Basically it says that they are not willing to accept none of our claims about the premium cabin and that none of the Thomas Cook staff would of told us about getting a refund for the outbound flight, they said that they are not willing to do anything about the hotel problems and we wa to "expect" some kind of maintenence as all hotels have some kind of work on going all year round but they keep it to a minimum during guests staying.

I would really like some good advice here guys, my next step i think is writing to ABTA again, but I would like to see if I can take things legally now.

I've already been tothe CAB and they have told me to contact ABTA.

I'm really not that bothered about the hotel problems, it was just the £500 premium cabin cost that I would like back really but I seem to be hitting a brick wall.

If anyone could help i would be very grateful.

Thanks

Peter

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">