• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threatening to sue for heartbreak, loss of pay and flight tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

case2401

I was in touch with a guy from Texas through a matrimonial website. After 3 months of chatting and a couple of times over the phone, he offered to come visit. He had booked his tickets. Lately, I felt he is not the right person and I felt very uncomfortable to meet him. I had messaged him saying that may be we won’t work out. His reply was to pay for this ticket. I paid him 50% of it. He now wants the rest of it and has threatened to legally file a complaint against me for emotional trauma and loss of paid work. Just to make it clear I did not ask him to come or take time off from work. Can he sue me ? I am in Canada .

Proserpina

I was in touch with a guy from Texas through a matrimonial website. After 3 months of chatting and a couple of times over the phone, he offered to come visit. He had booked his tickets. Lately, I felt he is not the right person and I felt very uncomfortable to meet him. I had messaged him saying that may be we won’t work out. His reply was to pay for this ticket. I paid him 50% of it. He now wants the rest of it and has threatened to legally file a complaint against me for emotional trauma and loss of paid work. Just to make it clear I did not ask him to come or take time off from work. Can he sue me ? I am in Canada .

Given that he'd have to sue you in Canada, it's more than likely he's blowing smoke.

Stop all contact. Ignore him.

Antigone*

Tell him to pound sand, eh.:D

case2401

I had marked his emails as spam and one got through yesterday and it read
" This is just a friendly reminder"
Clearly spam filter doesn't work and I don't know if I should reply or mark it as spam. Don't really want him to have anything against me if at all he goes to court.

OHRoadwarrior

Clearly spam filter doesn't work and I don't know if I should reply or mark it as spam. Don't really want him to have anything against me if at all he goes to court.
Set up a private folder for "jerk" and direct the emails to go there.

LdiJ

Seriously, its not going to go to court. He would have to sue you in Canada and the odds of him doing anything like that are so slim its silly. Just ignore him. Delete his messages without even reading them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">