• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spiers2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

In early June of this year I purchased tickets for myself and 4 others to a convention that was just held on the 22nd and 23rd of October. One friend in particular (lets call him Bob) was planning to fly out a few days prior to the event with one of his friends (lets call her Jane). The plan was Bob & Jane would spend 2 nights with my wife and I at our hotel and drive home with us, saying they'd split the costs of the nights they stayed and gas on the way back. So, about 3 months later as September rolled around my wife called me at work and told me she found a good deal on a hotel. I related the particulars to Bob and he said it "sounded good to him" so I told my wife to book it over the phone, mind you I was standing right next to him as I relayed from my wife. A few weeks ago, he let me know he couldn't make it and wanted to know if I knew of anyone who would buy his ticket. I did find someone and informed him I had but did not hear anything from him for awhile. The person I found to go in his stead had already taken vacation time and prepared for the trip. About a week prior to the event Bob tells me "Hey, tell your friend he can't go, I want to sell my ticket on Ebay". I told him no as we had found a replacement for him already. At that time I also brought up the point that if my other friend didn't go in his stead than he would owe me for the 2 nights in the hotel and a portion of our gas costs back to home. At that point Bob tells me "I never agreed to that plan". When I recounted the day I told him about the hotel deal he told me "Sounds good to me doesn't mean book the hotel" to which I responded along the lines of "If you didn't want us to book it then when I told her to while standing next to you, you should've spoken up". At that point he back peddled "I never said yes". I told him that if he wasn't going to pay me for the hotel costs and the gas then he was only going to get the original price of the ticket which was $150. The split costs between the 4 of us would about balance out. I will be depositing the $150 original ticket price into his paypal account tomorrow but that is all I am giving him.

He is threatening to take me to a small claims court for:

340$ ticket
Any and all court costs/paperwork
lost wages and financial pain and suffering. (This part cracks me up)

I basically want to know if he has any ground to stand on as there were never any written agreements/contracts for the purchase of the ticket, it was all verbal. Also in order for him to actually have picked up the ticket he would've needed to be present at the event with a picture ID with his name on it. The printed out ticket redemption sheet originally had his name on it but at the gate it was changed to the friend who took his spot as to make the souvenir ticket personalized to him. I also believe the website that was used to print out the redemption sheet is no longer available as the convention is over. So if he wants proof that his name was ever on a redemption sheet he would probably have to subpoena a multi-billion dollar company for that information.

The tickets also have the normal caveat "This ticket may not be offered for sale in any manner which would violate any law or regulation". Not sure if it would come into play or even which state laws it would fall under as we live in Arizona where we purchased the tickets online but the convention was in California.

Any thoughts?

On a side note I also have conversation screenshots in which he said "fine keep the ticket". I hadn't heard anything else about it till he started texting me and leaving voicemails saying things will get ugly if I don't cave to his demands and that he'll take me to small claims.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">