• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

took my money and ran

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shamarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas
Hi, I had a mason come to my house to give me an estimate on some work i needed done; I agreed on the price,and signed a contract .I gave him half the money up front for materials, when my husband and I had our home improvement business we would do this on the majority of our jobs.
We however; never stole the money. This person communicated with me daily sevral times a day even, talked about the job etc. it would rain and he couldnt come out or "the ground had to be a little more dry" etc. excuses excuses. finally he wouldn't return my calls, my husband started calling him every 30 min. for 24 hours, he called back and said he was sorry he didn't have the money or materials, his wife is an alcoholic and he was having trouble blah blah blah. Husband told him if he would at least get us the brick he would just call it even. havnt heard from him since. I have seen an ad he put up on craig's list though. anyway just can't find where he lives so I can send a demand letter. any help would be appreciated.:confused:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Texas
Hi, I had a mason come to my house to give me an estimate on some work i needed done; I agreed on the price,and signed a contract .I gave him half the money up front for materials, when my husband and I had our home improvement business we would do this on the majority of our jobs.
We however; never stole the money. This person communicated with me daily sevral times a day even, talked about the job etc. it would rain and he couldnt come out or "the ground had to be a little more dry" etc. excuses excuses. finally he wouldn't return my calls, my husband started calling him every 30 min. for 24 hours, he called back and said he was sorry he didn't have the money or materials, his wife is an alcoholic and he was having trouble blah blah blah. Husband told him if he would at least get us the brick he would just call it even. havnt heard from him since. I have seen an ad he put up on craig's list though. anyway just can't find where he lives so I can send a demand letter. any help would be appreciated.:confused:
Contact your county DA and the State Consumer Protection Board. :cool:

latigo

Texas
You gave money to some stranger that came to your door and now you want us to help find him so you can send a demand letter?

I'll get right on it!

eerelations

You gave money to some stranger that came to your door and now you want us to help find him so you can send a demand letter?

I'll get right on it!
Your sarcasm is completely misplaced. OP signed a contract with him, and then communicated with him several times after that. This was a bona fide business deal.

In addition, OP did not ask us to find this person, she asked for "any help" we could provide.

latigo

Your sarcasm is completely misplaced. OP signed a contract with him, and then communicated with him several times after that. This was a bona fide business deal.

In addition, OP did not ask us to find this person, she asked for "any help" we could provide.
Then provide the help!

shamarie

exactly

Thank you very much, could'nt have said it better myself

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">