• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trains

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

promiseamy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
michigan
My dad let a friend use some of his trains in the friend's museum. The friend has passed away. When my dad was told by his son that the friend had passed my dad asked to get his trains. My dad is disabled so the son came to get my dad took him to the museum and with the wife there assisted my dad in getting the trains. Now my dad received a letter from their lawyer which states my dad took advantage of them and took the trains. Again they helped him get the trains. Now they have a list of trains which states "is not limited to" that they want back. My dad will give back the trains even if they are his but is afraid they will continue to say he has their trains. Should we get a letter from them that states the list are the only trains he has to give back or should we give them all back? What if they continue to want trains that are my dad's?

cyjeff

Let them sue your dad.

They will have to prove that the trains were theirs. Your father should be prepared to produce any proof he has that he owned the trains prior to loaning them to the museum.

latigo

I fully agree with cyjeff, adding that I would like to know -

Whose wife are you talking about where you write, “the wife there assisted my dad in getting the trains”? Your wife was there, the dad’s wife was there or the wife of the guy that returned dad’s trains was there?

Because if it was the other guy’s wife that assisted in sorting out what was what it - rather than your or your dad’s spouse – it would seem to be stronger corroboration of the guy’s acknowledgement that the pieces that he returned weren’t the property of the museum.

But why should it be difficult for dad to know and prove which trains he lent his friend to temporarily beef up the museum display? Frankly, the whole incident is baffling.

Anyway, don’t let pop do anything until you and pop and whomever else is needed can sort out what pop owns and what pop doesn’t own.

Then if push comes to shove, let the jerk sue in replevin and see if he can step around the indisputable fact that he voluntarily returned the pieces to your dad and in so doing acknowledged that they were not inventory of the museum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">