• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel agent screw-up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teebonesteak

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I live in Louisiana, and I contacted a travel agent in Los Angeles, California, regarding a one-month travel package worth $4500. He faxed me an offer, asked for funds to make reservations, and being a "trusted friend" of one of my friends I sent him a check as requested (with the trip mentioned in the memo area). He failed to provide me with any manifestation of his services, whether in the form of tickets, itinerary, or even receipts. Therefore I asked for a refund. My bank obtained copies of my check and his deposit slip, both from his bank.

A week of phonecalls later, he actually answers for once and refuses to give me a refund, claiming that he "disbursed" the funds to a third party and they will not refund anything. Perhaps this is true, but I still got nothing from him. I sent him a formal letter yesterday via certified mail clearly explaining the details of the situation and requesting a full refund, but that is as far as I've learned about the small claims court.

My question is: according to the law of CA on "sellers of travel" and all that which I don't understand, is he exempt from giving me a refund? He seems so sure that I won't get a cent out of him...

teebonesteak

Do I have an argument to present in the Los Angeles small claims court? I'd hate to fly out for nothing and even lose more money. Or is there some loophole through which he may slip out?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">