• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Travel expenses post break up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trillian123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

My ex-bf and I planned a trip to Mexico next Summer. I put both our tickets on my credit card, and he later gave me a personal check to pay for his flight.

We have now broken up (several months before the planned trip) and I do not wish to go on the trip anymore. My ex bf's ticket is still valid for travel and I told him he can still go himself if he wants, and I'd even be willing to transfer my ticket if he wants to go with someone else.

Can my ex-bf sue me for what he paid for his flight, even though he still has a valid ticket and can use it (or not), if he pleases? The ticket is non refundable and can only be either cancelled, changed to a different date, or transferred to someone else.

trillian123

Thanks for your response. That's what I thought, just needed some confirmation from someone who knows more than I do about these issues.

LILMISSMACK

My ex-bf and I planned a trip to Mexico next Summer. I put both our tickets on my credit card, and he later gave me a personal check to pay for his flight.

We have now broken up (several months before the planned trip) and I do not wish to go on the trip anymore. My ex bf's ticket is still valid for travel and I told him he can still go himself if he wants, and I'd even be willing to transfer my ticket if he wants to go with someone else.

Can my ex-bf sue me for what he paid for his flight, even though he still has a valid ticket and can use it (or not), if he pleases? The ticket is non refundable and can only be either cancelled, changed to a different date, or transferred to someone else.
Tell him you are going to sell your ticket if he doesnt take it. That should cause him to take the ticket and drop the subject. assuming he is talking about suing you for not wanting to go...

If he's not you should sell the ticket, for less then cost. (50 - 75% of the actual cost)

sandyclaus

Tell him you are going to sell your ticket if he doesnt take it. That should cause him to take the ticket and drop the subject. assuming he is talking about suing you for not wanting to go...

If he's not you should sell the ticket, for less then cost. (50 - 75% of the actual cost)
BAD ADVICE. The ticket is not hers to sell. While she paid for it on her credit card, the ticket is in HIS name, and he has paid her for it. If she turns around and sells the ticket now, he WOULD have cause to sue her.

LILMISSMACK

BAD ADVICE. The ticket is not hers to sell. While she paid for it on her credit card, the ticket is in HIS name, and he has paid her for it. If she turns around and sells the ticket now, he WOULD have cause to sue her.
She said she was going to give him, HER ticket. I think that is dumb, she also paid for a ticket for herself, she can get rid of that one however she wants to.

LILMISSMACK

thats the ticket I'm saying she could sell.

trillian123

She said she was going to give him, HER ticket. I think that is dumb, she also paid for a ticket for herself, she can get rid of that one however she wants to.
When I said I was willing to transfer my ticket to someone else, I of course meant that I will expect to be paid the same amount I had to pay for it originally. I would not be giving it away for free.

Also, I wish it was that easy to get 'rid' of it. I would have to find someone who plans to travel on the same exact dates. Also it is especially hard because the flight arrives and departs from two different cities.

Anyway, I was just interested in finding out if I could be held liable in any way for not accompanying him on the trip that we had originally planned on going together.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">