• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Treble damages small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Can I get treble damages in small claims court in TN
The procedures and jurisdiction in the small claims division of Tennessee’s General Sessions Courts are supposedly housed in Tennessee Code Title 16 Chapter 15 Part 5 Sections 501-505 and Part 7 Sections 712-735 and Part 8 Sections 801-807 and Part 9 Sections 901-905. But I’ll be dashed if I can pull them out of the official website.

Anyway, the only reference I can find is that the jurisdictional limitation on a money judgment is $15K and $25K in counties with populations of more than 700,000.

So it would seem that if the small claims division can assume subject matter jurisdiction, and treble damages are allowed as a matter of statute, then they could be awarded within the money judgment limits.

And if not permitted, the court would most likely kick the case up where they are permitted.

What specific Tennessee Code provision are you relying on? Treble damages are not contemplated at common law so they would have to be allowed by statute. Plus they are rare.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">