• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tree cut down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunshine42345

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ky
Hello, Kentucky Utilities contracted a tree service to trim trees in my surrounding area....I came home last Thursday and my only tree in the front yard was cut down. KU had already apologized to my husband and said that "cutting down your tree was a mistake." KU has now passed the buck to the tree service....we asked for two thousand and the tree service said they could only go one thousand. My question would be is it worth it to get a lawyer and fight for more money...this was a 30-40 year old hard maple tree.
Thanks

sandyclaus

Anyone can sue for anything

Sure you could sue. Would it be worth it? Read on...

First, how did you arrive at the value of the tree? Can you provide documentation to show the value to a court of law?

Second, if it's $2000 you seek, does this amount fall under the amount you can claim under Small Claims or does it exceed I? Most Small Claims courts do not allow or require attorney representation, whereas a civil claim would. Attorneys will eat away at any award you could potentially receive at judgment.

I say write a demand letter (Certified mail, return receipt requested) to BOTH KU and the tree service, stating that you will accept NO LESS than X dollars (fill in X with the value you can document). Both KU and their contractor should be held liable for the fair replacement cost of the tree. Tell them that if you do not receive the full amount you demand that you WILL take the matter to the Court and let a judge decide. Both parties should have insurance to cover a loss like this due to their already admitted negligence.

racer72

I did some checking, the nearest place to you that I could find was in Missouri. The charge to plant a mature hard maple tree is about $15,000, most is the cost of the tree. I think you are underestimating the value of the tree by quite a bit. You should check to see if there are any local companies that sell and plant mature trees and determine the true value of your loss before you proceed. You could be shorting yourself thousands of dollars.Sounds like they just want to pay timber price for the tree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">