• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trial De Novo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tp7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I went to small claims court and one of the defendants did not show up after requesting a continuance. The Judge gave me a default judgement. Now they have hired a lawyer stating they didn't know them filing a continuance counted as them getting served. The Judge said in Small Claims it counts as being served, that why I won. So can they file a Trial De Novo even though they never even showed up?
In addition the lawyer filed wrong I think, and only filed for one defendant because it only says one of them but when I called the lawyer he said he filed a motion to show for the other defendant that did show up. Is there some sort of loop hole I can get them on? Since he filed wrong, or that the other people didn't show up?
If I do go to court and they decide not to settle what are the rules of the Trial De Novo? Do small claims rules apply, like for example if I show the judge emails and text messages, do I have to prove that these emails are coming from their IP address. Or will he just accept my "evidence".

BOR_

This is small claims; emails will likely be allowed into evidence. Asking for a new trial seems OK.

The issue with one defendant not filing a request for a new trial is an issue for that defendant. It is mandatory that he does so.

I would not contact the other attny .. go to court & note to the court that the default judgment is still in effect for the defendant who did not file a motion for a new trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">