• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Try to get money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melfi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi. My cousin owes me money. I have had email conversations with her in regards to the amount. The full amount is documented and the attempts at working out some sort of payment agreement. She did pay me one time.

Is this documentation sufficient to use in small claims court as proof? Also she has left NJ and is currently living in another state. Will this cause an issue in filing at a small claims court in NJ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

You can file in small claims court because you are in the correct jurisdiction. However, given that she is living out of state she can easily make a motion that appearing in court is an undo hardship and will win that 99/100 times. It's small claims court and you're filing over money lent to a family member, these courts tend to be pretty understanding that it's often unrealistic to travel great distances to appear for small claims court.
Seems like the best thing would just be to stop lending money if you are so worried about not getting paid back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">