• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to collect a small claims judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristin1277

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I live in NYS and won a small claims judgment against a car dealership owned by a corporation. They did not show up in court and have since closed their dealership (but the corporation is still operating other businesses). I want to collect my judgment but don't know how! The clerk's office refers to the Sheriff's office for recovery. The sheriff's office provided me with a price list of things they can do to collect (income execusion, property ex, bank levy, etc) but CANNOT tell me which one applies to me seeing as its a corporation (they are not allowed to give legal advice) Spoke to a lawyer who wants a 1/3 to collect. Well, the judgment will have to pay off the car loan so I CANNOT give a lawyer 1/3 of it. Can someone please please please help me and tell me how to collect???

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I live in NYS and won a small claims judgment against a car dealership owned by a corporation. They did not show up in court and have since closed their dealership (but the corporation is still operating other businesses). I want to collect my judgment but don't know how! The clerk's office refers to the Sheriff's office for recovery. The sheriff's office provided me with a price list of things they can do to collect (income execusion, property ex, bank levy, etc) but CANNOT tell me which one applies to me seeing as its a corporation (they are not allowed to give legal advice) Spoke to a lawyer who wants a 1/3 to collect. Well, the judgment will have to pay off the car loan so I CANNOT give a lawyer 1/3 of it. Can someone please please please help me and tell me how to collect???
A levy will work if you know where the corporation banks and if they have enough money in the account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">