• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to determine if I can be sued...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShinAkuma

What is the name of your state? IL

I have a joint $2000 credit card with an ex of mine and I am paying it off but not as fast as she'd like. She's threatened to sue me. Does her case have any merit? I didn't breach any contract, I am paying it. Furthermore, can I countersue her for malicious prosecution? I have heard from others she's talked to that she'd be sueing me to screw my life up (or get back at me for a rocky breakup). Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

racer72

As long as you are making the minimum monthly payments, there is nothing she can do. And being as she has no legal right to prosecute you for a crime, there is no malicous prosecution in this case. Anybody can sue anyone for just about anything, that is our right as US citizens. The question as to whether one is successful is a totally different question though.

S

seniorjudge

"...So she can sue me?..."
Yes

"...She just probably won't win?..."
The BEST odds you will ever have in court are 50-50.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">